Original topic:

Max heart rate

(Topic created on: 06-01-2020 10:47 AM)
Kvy
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Health

The app says my maximum heart rate is 181, but I regularly measure it to be around 190. This causes the heat rate zones to be all wrong. How can I change the setting?

50 Comments
mtnhack
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Same here as all previous responses. 

Make heart rate zones editable. I just rode for over an hour at a perceived effort of 3/10 and my Watch3 thinks I was anaerobic for 47 minutes. GTFOH! Depending on whose zones I use, I was in zone 3, or aerobic.

foxhill70
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

Moderator came with som stupid answers early in this tred, felt like the moderator tryed to fake he/she dident understand the basic logic of the question/issue. Samsung  can just f****g change the code so it is posible to induvidualy change the max hart rate. And in advansed settings we alsow want to be able to fine adjust the different hart sones. This is not at problem for Samsung to do. There are som hidden agenda for not doing it.

An another issue is exporting the training logg with gps data, hart beat data, and other standard data. They at making i difficult becaus they want to hold on to the cutomers private data to them self.... We should take them to cort for not give the customer a simpel way to export their own data.

best regards Foxill70 (born in 1970)

With max hartbeat = 188....

0 Likes
JCMK
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

The fact that Samsung don't allow manual setting of max HR shows that they don't even get the basics of fitness devices and tracking of effort. They probably shouldn't be in the business of making fitness devices.

The moderator's totally off topic responses to a simple question are additional proof of this and would be funny if they weren't so clueless.

Oh dear Samsung, go ask Mr. Garmin how to allow setting of max heart rate, it's pretty simple. 

Seancycle
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

It's a major flaw in their system. I've been an endurance cyclist for over a decade and at 52 I can still max out at 209 bpm. I  simply have to stick with my garmin to have accurate zones for my workout.

Also, the 220-age formula has been long debunked as wildly inaccurate, yet it continues show up in mainstream apps and publications. 

I also use a 3 zone system and customization is really important to accurately reflect individual needs.

It's supposed to be a 'smart' watch, right?  

aihgii
Beginner Level 3
Samsung Health

I'm surprised I really can't customize hr zones in samsung health app. This is absolutely "must have" functionality. It's like they would calculate my weight based on my age and gender.

CyclocrossMatt
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

I understand your request.   I actually lowered my age to 30 years younger and was able to obtain sensible results (I'm an athlete 63 July2020).  Then via an update it changed my date of birth to actual date and will not allow me to change it!  I'm convinced  Samsung is thinking for people so that someone may expire due to heart rate zone info, but false information is worthless.

0 Likes
Joby2514
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Exactly the problem I am having. Changed my DOB by 37 years otherwise my heart rate readings were getting clipped. This worked for a while. Then the year reverted back and the app won't allow me to change it again. I'm thinking of getting rid of the watch.

0 Likes
MauriceLlanes
Beginner Level 5
Samsung Health

Samsung please unlock the authomatic Max HR with the formula (220-age) so we the users can set up our own custumised max heart rate manually. I"m male, 37, experiensed runner and cyclist using the app samsung health since 2018. not regularly, because i use a Garmin watch, but this is broken at this moment and i came back to samsung health as plan b. i just did a running test the last week to know my MAS (maximal aerobic speed), in 1 mile, it makes me know my Max Heart rate as well, for that effort which is 195, always. 

it must be simple to add this option for the next update of the app.

it would be awesome as well not only use the formula of max heart rate, you could also include % hr reserve, % threshold hr. this last one is the best to train with the method 80/20.

pleeeease think about it. my request could be the request of millions of users you guys have around the world, who do not pay just 2 cents for a samsung phone and/or a watch. cheers to all

Gsteven
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

I have figured out how to change the maximum heart rate: set your birthday to where your heart rate belong!!!!

Of course, it will state you are at top **% of age group  bb to cc. 

Try to live with it, just an app.  A good laughing material later on to talk about 2020s!!!!!

0 Likes
CarlOlovGustav
Beginner Level 4
Samsung Health

I have the same issues.

My max HR is ~208 (I'm 38 years old). Individuals don't conform to the population averages per the Tanaka-maxHR model (or Fox, or whichever one Samsung uses).

Allow us to change the max HR target value manually so that the zones becomes meaningful for us.