Original topic:

Movement during REM sleep

(Topic created on: 01-02-2023 11:09 AM)
bigknife
Active Level 3
Options
Samsung Health
I see total movement during sleep. This is at best a marginally uninteresting statistic.

I need to see movement occurring only during REM sleep.

This is important and a sign of neurological health. (It shows sleep switches that ensures effective sleep paralysis).

How does one filter?

0 Likes
6 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

You think that Samsung Health & a Watch are gonna do it? 

"To diagnose REM sleep behavior disorder, sleep medicine physicians typically use the symptom criteria in the International Classification of Sleep Disorders, Third Edition (ICSD-3).

For a diagnosis of REM sleep behavior disorder, criteria include the following:

• You have repeated times of arousal during sleep where you talk, make noises or perform complex motor behaviors, such as punching, kicking or running movements that often relate to the content of your dreams
  • You recall dreams associated with these movements or sounds
  • If you awaken during the episode, you are alert and not confused or disoriented
  • A sleep study (polysomnogram) shows you have increased muscle activity during REM sleep
  • Your sleep disturbance is not caused by another sleep disturbance, a mental health disorder, medication or substance abuse

REM sleep behavior disorder can be the first indication of development of a neurodegenerative disease, such as Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy or dementia with Lewy bodies. So if you develop REM sleep behavior disorder, it's important to follow up with your doctor."

Mayo Clinic 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rem-sleep-behavior-disorder/diagnosis-treatment/drc-2...

0 Likes
bigknife
Active Level 3
Samsung Health
I certainly don't expect a watch to track all of that.

Just whether significant movement occurs during REM.

Movement during non-REM is normal.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

Yeah I know, that you weren't expecting Samsung Health to be able to monitor all that. I was being a bit of jack 🍑, sorry ☺️

AFAIK during REM sleep, as it's name refers to, rapid eye movement, is the most significant movement, and I can't see any watch sensors, being able to monitor anything else but HR, O² and skin Temp & arm / hand movement. Certainly nothing close to diagnostic level monitoring. 

0 Likes
bigknife
Active Level 3
Samsung Health
True, it unlikely to monitor mincemeat of limbs other than the watch-wearing arm. But that should be paralyzed during REM, if sleep switches are functioning.

While not sensing everything, as only that arm has a sensor, it would be sensing what it can.

What I'm asking for is filtering and reporting to distinguish pathological movement readings during REM (as these have significant meaning) from non-REM.

I recognize that I could sync my own data and presumably correlate. But I believe "movement during REM" is a useful and achievable metric for Samsung to extract.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

Considering that Samsung was marketing & selling some of it's products, in Canada, which were marketed as "health measurement" tools, ie: Samsung Galaxy Watches, BEFORE they were approved by Health Canada.. I think that it's unlikely that Samsung will do much other than "take your comments as valuable feedback".

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/galaxy-watch-features-missing-in-canada/td-p/12465187

0 Likes
kernel31337
Active Level 4
Samsung Health
Maybe you just asking too much from Samsung...
I believe they will never do anything...
Idk why I don't see that
0 Likes