Original topic:

Why does Samsung Health have to "manage my phone calls?"

(Topic created on: 05-03-2021 12:29 PM)
fujica
Beginner Level 4
Options
Samsung Health

Why does Samsung Health have to "manage my phone calls?"  I can no longer use the app which I depend on for health information.  Thanks for nothing Samsung.

44 Comments
asifakberali
Active Level 8
Samsung Health
So that it can make a call when you're having a stroke. ☻ 😂 Let's just admit that when it comes to privacy, Android is the worst platform, and with awful permissions grants.
Halston
Options
Samsung Health

Hey fujica,
To use the application, all permissions must be accepted. Turning off certain permissions may result in basic features no longer working as intended. 
Please go through the suggestions provided by the Samsung members from the link below.
Here is the link for your reference: https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-health/unable-to-use-my-samsung-health/m-p/9988533#M1502

0 Likes
00Meg00
Beginner Level 4
Samsung Health
Hi Samsung, I still haven't seen a good reason why I should add permission to manage calls, to be able to update my Samsung Health app. Enabling & then disabling permission is a wirksriund, yes, but your programmers should do better work than that. The best way to protect privacy is to minimize how much personal info is shared /stored in the first place.
RandomUser722
Beginner Level 5
Samsung Health

There is NO  reason for Samsung fit to need those permissions. The app could easily be designed without that requirement. This is nothing more than a privacy invasion by Samsung. They are using that information either for their own business use or selling it. THAT IS IT, PERIOD. DO NOT  LIE ABOUT IT. It is immoral, unnecessary and downright greedy. I have deleted the app because of this and this invasion will factor in my decision to purchase my next phone.

samsung_derp
Beginner Level 5
Samsung Health

The question wasn't which permissions must be accepted to use the application. The question was why does Samsung Health require permission to manage phone calls.

fsu23phd
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

When they refuse to answer your question directly, and instead evade and misdirect, it is a very bad sign.

Members_0hUfzgI
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

The app says why it needs this, and only this, permission, to make you findable. For a health app forcing you to be publicly findable by other users if you want to use it sounds like a massive violation of privacy (and possibly illegal in some places with stronger privacy rights)

The features that would not work as intended without phone access are undesirable features, defects by design

HOMEY16
Beginner Level 5
Samsung Health

That is a nonsensical answer.  You effectively say "the permission is required because it is required"

0 Likes
Samsung Health

Maybe I should just post this.

Your phone number is used to verify your identity and keep your data safe.

This is the reason showed under Samsung Health Settings → Phone Number

If anyone do not like accept this permission, there is another work around.

Accept all permission for app install. Then go back to Settings → Apps → Samsung Health app → Permission

Remove Phone permission. Samsung HeaIth still working.

Screenshot_20210413-140644_Samsung Health_41032.jpg