Original topic:

how to use mst

(Topic created on: 10-29-2020 06:53 PM)
Georgeana
Active Level 3
Options
Samsung Pay
I have asked this question before and with covid I really don't want to touch any debit machines.

I have tried holding my the back of my phone to the card reader and im still not having success.

I checked everything on my s10e and everything says it should be fine

What am I missing?
0 Likes
10 Comments
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Samsung Pay
mst only works with credit cards. but you can always use tap to pay if the store has it in debt cards
Georgeana
Active Level 3
Samsung Pay
I have a debit only. are you saying the debit mst will not work? it doesn't work for me and I've been trying at Walmart
0 Likes
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Samsung Pay
no debt doesn't work at places that don't have tap (like Walmart) only credit cards on Samsung pay have the mst function
Georgeana
Active Level 3
Samsung Pay
thx. mystery solved
Halston
Options
Samsung Pay

Hi Georgeana,

Good to know that your query got resolved. Thank you Habsfan, for sharing the information with our community members and helping them.

For more details about Samsung Pay please follow the below link.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/apps/samsung-pay/

0 Likes
CynicalJerk84
Active Level 8
Samsung Pay
I use Samsung pay with my debit card. never any issues. some machines are different from what I read there are two leading technology at play mst and another. some pos machines have one some the other. turn on your nfc before trying any payment via contactless services. walmart machines are not compatible in my experience.
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Samsung Pay
Samsung pay has mst, when you use credit card you can use Samsung pay at places like Walmart that don't have tap.

if you just have a debit card then Samsung pay only works at places that have tap machines
PókeDynamax
Active Level 6
Samsung Pay

Here is simple explanation. Interac phase out swipe(MST) 2015 before Samsung Pay came out in Canada. Swipe out of the questions.
By any chances if encounter old style restaurant, and they put multiply sign with no debit then you know why not active in Canada.
In U.S. like opposite with us. Debit with swipe method still function due to lag of upgrade by the merchant or too cheap invest.
If you still want that feature then you have to get American bank with U.S. Samsung pay app which need U.S. model, (but you can get around without buying a new flagship)
I wouldn't use this method if you want to stay safe. Pin require even process with MST, so there is no different from punching pin with EMV card
Whatif: Time travel years of 05 😄 suggest to Interac and put exception on Samsung Pay (pin less MST) by time comes out in Canada.

Here is old Archive,  stated. https://web.archive.org/web/20160326210817/https://www.interac.ca/en/fraud-prevention-for-merchants....

Vic20
Active Level 10
Samsung Pay
My understanding is EMV chips also encrypts card number. Reason why there's still fraud is the magnetic stripe static info put into the card to continue to work on older POS devices. However, it can theoretically still be secured in background processes by adding additional security checks and processes when tapping. But so far many banks/issuers are still a little lax on that. EMV chips are also much more secure than MST in this day and age.

And EMV isn't a technology... it stands for EuroPay, Mastercard and Visa. The ones responsible for developing the chip technology.

In all honesty, Samsung should b rewriting code in Samsung Pay to use current EMV chip tapping than magnetic stripe. Android pay and Apple currently use this. Samsung really needs to catch up with current technologies and security. At least in my view.
0 Likes