Original topic:

Using Samsung pay with a ling RBC debit/credit card and petro points linked

(Topic created on: 12-19-2020 01:02 PM)
mike88
Active Level 4
Options
Samsung Pay
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone uses samsung pay with rbc and has their petro points linked. 

I use samsung pay and my default card is my rbc debit card and my petro points are linked to it. so I don't need the loyalty card anymore. Points are automatically added because they are all linked.

Anyways today I paid for gas with my phone but I did not receive the points or save the $0.03/liter as advertised. Wondering if this is some sort of glitch where you can't use samsung pay with loyalty cards and accumulate points through purchases. It did work one time in the past for me with a lottery purchase and now this is only my second time trying at a petro canada with samsung pay.

The store clerk said sometimes that happens, you need to unlink your petro points card from your RBC account and then re-link it. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. 
0 Likes
Baba3000
Active Level 1
Samsung Pay

Did it work by deleting and relinking the cards? 

0 Likes
mike88
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
no, I already posted my reply on that. so from now on I use my physical card at petro Canada
mike88
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
If anyone is looking for an update I deleted the Petro-Canada card off of my RBC account and then re-added it. I understand there's a two-day waiting period so that it can be linked properly. I did try to make a small purchase in store at a Petro Canada using my Samsung pay and I just wanted to see if it would have given me the points, to which it didn't. I wasn't going to make another major purchase, like a full tank of gas, and not get any points for it.

That being said I went to the gas station today and I decided just to use my RBC debit card on its own. I didn't use a Petro points card as my RBC debit card is linked to my Petro points card. So I went to the counter and all I did was tap my debit card and it recognized it all properly and I got my $0.03 off per litre as well as 20% bonus Petro points. I don't know if this is a glitch with Samsung pay for loyalty points while paying through a debit card at the same time but I am not willing to risk losing almost 500 points every single time just at the convenience of using my cell phone. I'm sure they will come out with a patch for this eventually. Until then this should be verified by another user that has a RBC debit card or credit card and has linked their Petro-Canada card all while using Samsung pay. Please keep us informed.

Thanks
keagan
Options
Samsung Pay

Hi mike88, Thanks for taking the time to share the update on this issue. Please take the time to login into Samsung Members Community Canada(web version) and check the DM(direct message) we sent you. Please reply back to the DM with the requested details.

Baba3000
Active Level 1
Samsung Pay

This happened to me last week as well when I payed for gas using Samsung watch. Lost the 3cent/ litter discount as well as bonus points. How I found out though was by seeing the transaction on RBC statement. However, the petro points transaction did not show this transaction at all. Petro canada customer support states that it doesn't recommend to use samsung pay. 

0 Likes
Samsung_LbhE3q6
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Pay

My petro points is linked to my RBC credit card and it works no problem. I never carry the cards with me anymore.

0 Likes
mike88
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
ok so looks like we must just pay with the physical card(s)
0 Likes
Baba3000
Active Level 1
Samsung Pay

Samsung Pay, RBC, Petro points IT team should sit together and resolve this issue. It doesn't make sense to not use the tap after spending money on gadgets. It defeats the purpose of contactless pay and bulky wallet free NFC technology when they leave these sort of glitches in their system. Especially during the pandemic Samsung pay should push this issue more seriously and resolve it if they are realy competing with google pay in the market.

mike88
Active Level 4
Samsung Pay
couldn't agree more. it totally defeats the purpose because they do advertise making payments as well as collecting loyalty points at the same time.
0 Likes
Unamended
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Pay

This issue has just popped up for me.  I thought that the issue was with my Petro card.  This is enough to make me switch to Google Pay.  Samsung pay used to be a plus, this type of glitch is a HUGE minus in both point and savings.  Super disappointed.

0 Likes