Original topic:

Transfer Data to new phone

(Topic created on: 12-19-2021 10:41 AM)
Tony1942
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Smart Switch

Hi.  I have a Samsung Galaxy J8, and have just bought TWO Samsung S21 Ultras (one for wife, one for me of course).

I want to transfer ALL DATA, etc from old to new phone. I have received info from Samsung via email, and have googled all the info I can.  There are several ways to do it, I know.

However, I want to hear from a member who has actually done it, and find out THE BEST WAY TO DO IT.  Please do so "step by step".  When do you insert the SIM Card from old to new please?

Thanks in advance,

Tony1942

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
jamie122
Active Level 3
Samsung Smart Switch
I transferred my data from my note 10 to my fold 3 using samsung smart switch. it'll give you an option of what you want to transfer I suggest using a cable as wifi can take a long time.

View solution in context

10 Comments
Samsung Smart Switch
The best way is Samsung switch
Samsung Smart Switch
Google the steps involved with samsung switch...the steps are pretty much easy and self explanatory
0 Likes
Samsung Smart Switch
Also in addition to that you can also transfer by setting up the new phone with same google account as you had for the old phone and say restore option ....if you have backup done on your old phone ....even this step you can get it by typing on Google and get step by step instructions with videos as well
0 Likes
Tony1942
Active Level 1
Samsung Smart Switch

Thanks for that. Will do.

Solution
jamie122
Active Level 3
Samsung Smart Switch
I transferred my data from my note 10 to my fold 3 using samsung smart switch. it'll give you an option of what you want to transfer I suggest using a cable as wifi can take a long time.
Tony1942
Active Level 1
Samsung Smart Switch

Thank you everyone.  I will do "the smart switch" thingy......

SamsungLaura
Options
Samsung Smart Switch

Hi @Tony1942, as mentioned by our team, the best way to transfer data is by using Smart Switch wirelessly on both devices.

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/phone-to-phone-transfer-via-smart-switch/ 

As a note, Smart Switch generally doesn't move over data that is encrypted or stored by 3rd party apps. These will need to be backed up on the old device, and restored onto the new device. 

Some examples of data that is encrypted: 

- WhatsApp chat history --> Backup on old phone via Google Drive > Log into same Google account on new phone > Download WhatsApp to new phone > Restore chat history from Google Drive backup

- Viber chat history

- WeChat chat history

- Game progress --> typically you should back up your came progress > download game to new phone > log into the same game account as your old phone and restore

0 Likes
Samsung Smart Switch
For the sim card, you need to power off your old phone, (If the screen is broken, Ask Google assistant to turn flight mode on by pressing home button.) And get a paper clip or the sim card ejector, take the phone out of its case, if you have a case on the phone then look for the sim card slot, put the paper clip in the hole, carefully. Then the sim card slot should come out a little. Then do the steps below for your new phone.

1. Power off the phone
2. Take the phone out of its case, if it has one attached.
3. Look for the sim card slot,
4. Push the paper clip into the hole,
5. Insert the Sim card the right face up,
6. Power your phone back on.
0 Likes
Samsung Smart Switch
0 Likes