Original topic:

help with wifi 5g on tablet

(Topic created on: 09-02-2022 05:22 PM)
kimewilson
Beginner Level 2
Options
Tablets

Hi my daughter has a3 year old samsung tablet. We have just gotten upgraded to a new internet 5g service and we now cant get her samssung to conect all other device in home work fine any help would be great. Have done all the basics but it just will not connect. If my daughter uses the home internet as a hot spot for the samsung tablet it will conect. If we have to get another tablet what would the cheapest one be that would work on the new internet. thankyou very much

0 Likes
4 Comments
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Tablets
I am a little confused, so bear with me.
1.connecting a device to a home network is nòt called hotspotting.
2. A home modem/router if recent should be able to use either a 2.4 Mhz network or a 5 Mhz network. This is totally different to 5G internet service. Networks operate within the house only. 5G operates from the mobile tower direct to your device that has a sim card.
3. Technically speaking either a phone or a tablet with sim card should be able to connect to a mobile tower. But several things need to be checked.

First, are the settings allowing the phone to connect to the tower correct? If you are using Telstra this may not be correct as they changed what are called the APN settings for 5G cf 4G and lower. To fix this you need to change the APN settings in your daughter's phone - go to Settings, search for Access Point N..?. This is where you will make the changes. To find what they should be Google "Telstra 5G APN settings". Be careful. First write down the old phone settings on paper so you can change back. Second, your changes must match the Googled 5G APN settings EXACTLY - no extra spaces, no using caps for lower case letters, etc.
Second, the phone may be too far from the mobile tower. 5G covers a smaller land area than 4G. To check this search for an app called Aus Phone Towers and change the settings in that app to only show 5G and your isp, Telstra, etc. If you are too far away it is not the end of the world. A cheap internal aerial at the window facing the tower may be sufficient. The trick is, whether an internal or external aerial, to make sure to get the right one..

So, if it is the APN settings and you are within range you are o.k. to go. BUT THERE'S more. Telstra, Boost, Optus and Vodafone (not others) have a fantastic extra called wi-fi calling. Google it with the name of your isp. What it does is, if the phone call doesn't come through, it uses your broadband connection instead, provided the phone is on and within your internal wi-fi network range. This also provides better quality calls when activaed.
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Tablets
By the way, if you decide to buy another Samsung tablet go to a shop and actually get it in your hands. Ignore promises that it is coming in. Ignore online. Read the many stories in this forum about failure to deliver or significant delays.
0 Likes
SamsungJon
Options
Tablets

Hi @kimewilson, from what you have described, I would recommend sending an error report through the Samsung Members app so that our team can take a look into the issue remotely.

To send an error report: go into Samsung Members > tap on Get help > scroll down to Error Reports > tap OK on the agreement popup for sending system log data > select the issue category > describe the issue and frequency > tick ‘send system log data’ > tap send in the top right.

Please make sure that you keep Samsung Members open after you send the error report, as it takes some time for log data to send through.

It is recommend that you send these error reports within 3 minutes of the issue occurring to assist in identifying any potential deviations in your device performance.

Once it has been assessed by our team, you will receive a response via the Samsung Members app which can be viewed by clicking the notification bell.

0 Likes