Original topic:

June Wallpaper. Black Lives Matter.

(Topic created on: 06-08-2020 02:07 AM)
ZMAHD
Options
Themes

Hi everyone.

I planned to create a community-oriented wallpaper for this month, but because of the tragic news around the US, I just didn't feel comfortable sharing that wallpaper. This community we have here is amazingly vibrant, and I know that we all love talking about the next Galaxy and the next update rollout, but fundamentally, it's not just important to talk about this, it's important to take action. Now.

Now is not the time to be silent. We must Speak Up and make sure that racism is no more. Being "not racist" is NOT enough, you must be Anti-Racist.  This month's wallpaper has been the most important to me because it is made in remembrance of many of the victims of unjustified police brutality. No one should have to go through what they did. I know that this is a community forum and it's important we stick to Samsung-based topics, but all I ask is that if you're going to use this wallpaper, please make sure that you donate or at the very least sign the petition. Thank You.

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/mayor-jacob-frey-justice-for-george-floyd?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_22414602...

Wallpaper link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--MfPzCtzVktSEGntxOZUSOfvM1whMeL/view?usp=sharing

June Wallpaper.png

3 Comments
carr0498
Active Level 10
Themes

Hopefully this doesn't get deleted, as it is open dialogue, and i believe it needs to be said considering this relates to George Floyd.

Sorry, but the fact that this guy, this POS, is being elevated as a martyr, is a farce to the real issues at hand.  Let me be clear, this guy didn't deserve to die, this deserves condemnation in every way, and I'm happy the officers were fired and charged with murder/accessories, but he certainly didn't deserve any respect.  A man that would do an armed home invasion and robbery, point his gun right at the stomach of a pregnant woman to threaten her to comply, does not deserve any praise.  I don't care if he spent 5 years in jail for it, he is scum.

As Candace Owens put it  - "We are the only community that caters to the bottom denominator of our society [...] We are unique in that we are the only people that fight and scream and demand support and justice for the people in our community that are up to no good"  -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtPfoEvNJ74  - I strongly recommend you watch Candace's message.  It's strong, and if we can rally behind violence and racism in all shapes and sizes, it's the best cause to be involved in.

Yes, black lives matter, all lives matter, racism is an issue, police brutality is an issue, but people need to work in their communities to fix the issues of violence everywhere.  We cannot ignore facts of what happened, and we cannot ignore facts regarding other violent crimes that are barely reported because it doesn't suit a particular narrative. I will support black lives, but I will not support George Floyd.

CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Themes
That's fair enough. His horrible death certainly does not erase his past actions, but our society is based on the principle that a man can change. Otherwise, why do we even have jails? Why not just cut straight to the end and kill evildoers? But here isn't the place to question the fundamentals of our society or justice. Your point makes sense and we'll leave it as such.

I would avoid to condemn "racism" and just condemn "xenophobia". It's broader and more accurately represents what our society suffers from. Racism, handicaps, foreigners... Those are also big targets of groundless hate and violence (esp. here. They don't want to admit here but as a member of many of such "target groups", I experience it hands-on sadly.)
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Themes
A petition won't change a thing unfortunately. Here's what would help:
- Promote absolute equality. Don't favour a group. So-called "positive discrimination" only makes things worse. Don't treat anyone differently due to some superficial differences (like the colour of their skin)
- Tolerance. It must be taught, it must be applied.
- Vote. It is very important to vote for someone who will take care of this issue. The participation rate for voting is disturbingly low. If you think that the candidates do not represent your opinion, it's probably because your demographic does not vote a lot. Participation rates among young people and people of colour are generally much lower than older natives, so candidates will naturally want to please the latter demographic.
- Cultural exposition. You need to expose yourself to others. As people learn of your group's culture and interests, they also start to learn that you are a person. A different person, yes, with different opinions and interests, but you're not some kind of drug-dealing terrorist who wants to steal everyone's jobs.
And a bunch of other stuff, reforms and all that only scholars have the ability to reccomend since they studied this particular topic for decades as their job.