Original topic:

Blue hours or Golden hours are the magics hours in photography

(Topic created on: 01-09-2022 01:59 PM)
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Options
Tip

I'm presently working on this post, pictures can changed anytime...

Better viewing in your favorite browser. Click on pictures to enlarge them and see the beauty of those photos took by REAL Samsung's Members photographers

What is the Golden Hour ? * 

Cassidy_17-1641494464964.jpeg

In photography, we call "Golden Hour" the time of day when the light atmosphere is very colorful. These moments are at sunrise or sunset and we then find predominantly orange, yellow or pink tints. During these times, the shadows are also softer, less pronounced and more elongated than during the full day.

Because the Golden Hour light gives a warm atmosphere to photos, it is naturally very popular with photographers. This time slot of just a few minutes allows you to considerably beautify a place that is at first glance bland or uninteresting when it is in the middle of the day.

Basically you can assume that the golden hour starts one hour before sunrise (up to one hour after sunrise), then starts again one hour before sunset (up to one hour after sunrise). ). However, the most relevant moments are often found in the seconds or minutes before the moment when the sun comes out of the horizon or begins to hide there.

Here is one of those magical moments that I was able to capture, the colors went from orange to gray then to mauve then to pink in a few seconds and the sky seemed to be ablaze as a volcano in full swing would have done. eruption. It felt like the sky was ablaze like it was the end of the world 😋

If I had known that it would have been so intense, I would probably have chosen the video mode rather than the Pro mode but since it was the 1st time that I saw such an explosion of colors during the golden hour (and I am very old), I'm still happy to have been able to capture these magical moments for you to enjoy.

Cassidy_26-1641496426704.jpeg

(Click on the image to enlarge)

Cassidy_0-1641609344019.jpeg

Other even more splendid photos will be added in the coming days but here are some samples. These photos were given to me by Paul Saward who took them on his Galaxy S21 Ultra ...

Photos taken in Essex by Paul Saward, another Samsung's Members 

Cassidy_27-1641496494511.jpeg

Cassidy_28-1641496513602.jpeg

Cassidy_29-1641496609167.jpeg wide angle

Cassidy_0-1641497651228.jpeg

What is the blue hour?

Cassidy_18-1641494537620.jpeg

Stephen Berthelot NB (@inspgadget)

The blue hour, also called "between dog and wolf", takes place twice a day: at dusk and at sunrise. This unique moment, which lasts about 30 minutes, is particularly popular with photographers, when the sky turns a particularly deep and saturated blue.

Contrary to what one might think, the blue hour lends itself very well to smartphone photography. Eminently “Instagrammable”, this unique moment is an excellent opportunity to discover the functionalities of your photo application and to learn how to optimize the settings. The contrast of lights and color between the sky and the earth sublimates this kind of photos, giving it a poetic power. (Source Frandroid) **

Cassidy_25-1641496172140.jpeg

Here is the BLue Hour for Ottawa January 6, 2021

To find the blue hour in your area, click here: BLUE time according to your region

As an example, I Ottawa in Canada to see what time will be Blue time on January 6, 2022 and we can clearly see that the Blue hour precedes the golden hour in the morning and follows that of the evening this which gives you the exceptional opportunity to take wonderful photos in a short period of time. You will also learn th7lat the best part of these magical 2 hours sometimes only last a few seconds and you will see that it is simply magical.

Cassidy_19-1641494640275.jpeg7:32 p.m. (golden hour)

Few seconds later

Cassidy_20-1641494689322.jpeg19.36 hour

The Golden Hour is quietly leaving the decor to make way for the Blue Hour

Cassidy_21-1641494732907.jpeg19.38 hour Wide Angle

Cassidy_22-1641494765360.jpeg19.46 hour

Cassidy_1-1641497864388.jpeg

Only a few minutes left to be in full Blue Hour

Cassidy_1-1641513926205.jpeg

And on this one, I've included the adjustments that Paul chose to make his photo. You will notice that he has set the ISO number to 50 which allows him to have fantastic non-grainy photos with the best image quality that the camera can allow (Photo taken in Pro Mode and possibly with a tripod)

Cassidy_23-1641494831607.jpeg

And when the sun is completely down or just before it rises, we are at Blue Hour which allows us to take pictures out of time as if it had stopped for a period of time. pose before night takes over or life begins again.

Cassidy_24-1641496135911.jpeg Cassidy_0-1641498128487.jpeg

Berthelot (@inspgadget) NB Blue Hour 

The following pictures were took by @Hynoptica85 in the Blue Hour Time

Cassidy_1-1641960139371.png

Cassidy_2-1641960186790.jpeg Cassidy_3-1641960263569.jpeg

Look at the rocks and the sky, they are BLUE...I was really surprise of the quality of those action's  images and i tought it was a Snapshot taking in a video and i was wrong. Great pictures @Hynoptica85 !

The next one is from Mark Chern (Ma) and this picture won many prices.

I'm waiting for the original for a better viewing but we can already say that it's a wonderful picture.

Cassidy_0-1641864071593.png

Mark Chern  his  a poweful photographer and i hope  that he will share with me his Instagram account.

P.S. 

Normally I do not copy the text of other authors, I just compare their definitions with mine ... but this time, I took the definitions given by Frandroid because I found them well. 

*** It is always better to take the photos in Pro Mode as they can be enhanced with a photo editor either from Samsung or with Snapseed which is a more complete FREE program ***

You might end up with a very grainy  image using normal Photo mode and this might spoil a scene you will never see in your life. When you want to take pictures in these magical hours, you have to be prepared and have spotted well before, choose the right mode and have a tripod so as not to miss anything like in this photo:

Cassidy_0-1641498544267.jpeg

Grainy as you wish and not recoverable. Click on the following image to enlarge and see all grains in this picture.

Grains in the imageGrains in the image

The scene could have been magical, what sadness!

Thanks to @Tallman, @Inspgadget, @Ottawalker @Shanan, @Grace425, @Kiwimart4 @Hypnotica85, @Atreyu, @KSMC and many others photographers to share their pictures wirh me and made those articles possible...

** I would add that there is a very cool app that gives you those times as well as the settings depending on what you want to do.
There is a free version of this application but the paid version is really more complete.
I give you the link of the free version.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stefsoftware.android.photographerscompanion

Here is a list of my articles  and 15 other articles are in process to help newbies  :

I'm still asking Samsung Canada to make a special folder for Professional photgraphers who want to help new members to make better photographie's with their devices.

7 Comments
Tip
Thanks for sharing.
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Tip
You're welcome 👍
Tip
Great article mate 👍
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Tip
Thanks @Kiwimart4, i am working on something with your spectacular pictures...i will tell you when it's ready !
Parseneault76
Active Level 6
Tip

Thanks. what a great article. J'adore, avec la pratique et en mettant en pratique vos articles, on ne peut que faire de belles photos. Merci de partager cela avec nous.

Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Tip
Thanks @Parseneault76,
I can't wait to see the photos that you will have taken with my tutorials and that you will be proud of. It'll show me that I didn't do it all for nothing !
J'ai hâte de voir les photos que vous aurez prises grâce à mes tutoriels et dont vous serez fier. Ça me montrera que je n'ai pas tout fait pour rien !
Tu es jeune et c'est le meilleur temps pour apprendre, tu verras que tu seras toujours heureux d'avoir réussi à ton goût n'importe quelle photo...mais c'est toujours plus agréable de savoir que la photo est réussie parce qu'on connaît la technique. Mes articles t'aideront quelque soit l'appareil que ce soit une caméra d'action, un reflex et même un drône, la technique sera toujours la même.
0 Likes
Matrix_Csr
Active Level 3
Tip
Good information