Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Does hw-q950a soundbar built-in Alexa?

(Topic created on: 08-10-2021 02:06 PM)
niax0206
Beginner Level 2
Options
TV & Audio

Hi there, I purchased HW-Q950A soundbar month ago, and I tried many times to launch Alexa by voice or multifunction button but never work. I tried to reset soundbar, uninstall/install SmartThings and Alexa app, disconnect/connect Amazon account from SmartThings not working at all. Is any step I missed?

27 Comments
SamsungJon
Options
TV & Audio

Hi @niax0206, what device are you using SmartThings from?

Here are some steps you could try to see if this assists:

- Remove the Q950A from the SmartThings app, uninstall it and then reinstall.

- Unplug the Soundbar and the wireless speakers for a few minutes. Then replug with the rear speakers first, then sub, and then the bar.

- Reset the Soundbar.

- Reconnect your Soundbar to SmartThings, and then Amazon Account to SmartThings, using the steps here: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/connect-amazon-alexa-with-smartthings/

Let us know how you go, @niax0206!

0 Likes
niax0206
Beginner Level 2
TV & Audio

Tried, not working for me.

My device is Redmi note 8 pro

0 Likes
Jhau1
Active Level 1
TV & Audio

I’ve sent an email through. 

niax0206 - did you have any luck solving this?

0 Likes
SamsungJon
Options
TV & Audio

Thank you @niax0206. From what you have described, it would best if I could arrange for a callback with a member of our Level 2 Support Team to assist you with this. If you'd like me to do so, can you email us with your full name, contact number, State, Model number, and preferred callback time/date (Mon-Fri 8:30AM-5PM AEST).

Thank you.

0 Likes
Jhau1
Active Level 1
TV & Audio

I’m also having this issue and have reset the soundbar, unlinked and relinked SmartThings, and set it all back up again several times. 

Is there another way to fix this or did the original poster have any luck?

0 Likes
SamsungJon
Options
TV & Audio

Hi @Jhau1, I would best recommend that you also email us with your full name, contact number, State, Model number, and preferred callback time/date (Mon-Fri 8:30AM-5PM AEST), so that our Level 2 Support team can get in contact to assist you with this.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungJon
Options
TV & Audio

Hi, after consulting with our tech team, the HW-Q950A compatibility with Alexa is 'works with', not 'built in'. This means that our Soundbar is compatible with the Alexa service, however only receives Alexa voice commands you issue to a separate Alexa device. 

To take a look at the specifications as well as how to use Alexa with the HW-Q950A Soundbar, please see here: https://www.samsung.com/au/audio-devices/soundbar/q950a-black-hw-q950a-xy/

The manual, downloadable via the support page, has further extensive details on how to use Amazon Echo with the Soundbar.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to let us know, thank you. 

0 Likes
Jhau1
Active Level 1
TV & Audio

Hi,

I’m actually not sure that this is entirely correct. The Soundbar has all the options to register with Alexa as a smart speaker and in fact does appear in the Alexa app as an enabled device along with all of the same settings around language, Alexa support, etc. It also shows as “online” and appears right and ready as an Alexa enabled device from Amazon’s perspective. The US version of this soundbar also has advertised full in-built Alexa support. 

Is this a firmware limitation here in Australia or will this feature be enabled? It seems silly that it is all set up to go, has the mic, registers as an Alexa device and online (not just as a speaker), and yet we’re told it doesn’t work here.

Thanks

SamsungJon
Options
TV & Audio

Hi @Jhau1, our products' features can vary depending on different countries and regions. For the Australian model of HW-Q950A, the compatibility with Alexa is "Works With". This means that the Soundbar is compatible with the Alexa service, but can only receive commands you issue to a separate Alexa device.

We do however, appreciate your feedback and will pass it on internally. Thank you.