Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Does hw-q950a soundbar built-in Alexa?

(Topic created on: 07-27-2021 01:51 PM)
niax0206
Beginner Level 2
Options
TV & Audio

Hi there, I purchased HW-Q950A soundbar month ago, and I tried many times to launch Alexa by voice or multifunction button but never work. I tried to reset soundbar, uninstall/install SmartThings and Alexa app, disconnect/connect Amazon account from SmartThings not working at all. Is any step I missed?

Resolved!
Wingcom999
Beginner Level 2
TV & Audio

Then what is the point of the microphone in the soundbar?

0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
TV & Audio

Hi @Wingcom999, the microphone can be used alongside Alexa or Smart Things so you can use it like a smart assistant. 

0 Likes
Wingcom999
Beginner Level 2
TV & Audio

If I have alexa, it would have microphone already, why the soundbar need a separate mic?

0 Likes
Hiitsjack
Active Level 1
TV & Audio

Hi Laura,

are you able to give details on what you mean by “alongside”?

Aren’t we now using the microphone in the additional device (with SmartThings and Alexa).

0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
TV & Audio

Hi @Hiitsjack, our user manual has a section on Alexa if you would like to take a look here on page 25. 

An explanation our team gave was as follows: 

Alexa Built-In

Works Alongside Alexa (HW-Q950A)

Devices that have Alexa built in run the Alexa voice service themselves and can accept Alexa voice commands directly, without the need for a separate Alexa device

Devices are compatible with the Alexa service, but do not have it built in, can only receive Alexa voice commands you issue to a separate Alexa device

Hope this clarifies things! 

0 Likes
Hiitsjack
Active Level 1
TV & Audio

Hi SamsungLaura,

this does clarify but also contradicts your earlier reply to @Wingcom999 that the soundbar microphone can be used as a smart assistant.

could you please ask the tech team for a definitive answer if the Australian soundbar microphones are of any use?

Thanks 

0 Likes
Bappoo
Beginner Level 3
TV & Audio

I have the same complaint. I researched these online before buying as I really wanted on board alexa functionality. I missed the fact that some countries versions have it and some don't. The main problem with using an external device is that the external device (an echo in my case) doesn't hear me when I want to turn off or change music when music is already playing through the soubdbar after I've initiated that music using the works with functionality.

If one plays music on an echo then it's aware of what music it's playing and is able to distinguish it from an alexa voice command.

It does seem such a shame to buy the top of the line product so as to be able to listen to music in very high quality only to have a really cool feature, artificially limited. 

I would implore you to update the firmware to switch this on for your most loyal customers. 

0 Likes
Itsdone
Beginner Level 3
TV & Audio

Hi Jhau1, I to find it strange that we in Australia don't have Alexa built-in, like other countries . What's the point of the built-in microphone if not for  Alexa ?

Wingcom999
Beginner Level 2
TV & Audio

Maybe for samsung to spy on their users?

0 Likes
Crishane
Beginner Level 2
TV & Audio

This is not resolved right? and this speaker has Alexa Built-In (it's clearly a selling point in the video, if there is an issue maybe work on it rather lying to your customers, below is the official video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWRlh4O-rhs

0 Likes