Original topic:

DO NOT UPDATE GALAXY WATCH 4 SERIES!

(Topic created on: 11-08-2022 10:15 AM)
KingstonL
Active Level 3
Options
Wearables
If you haven't already, please do not update the galaxy watch 4's software.
There is a major bug in the new firmware that causes the watch to brick when powered off or the battery goes below 1%.
You will not be able to charge it nor turn it back on, and currently, Samsung Canada is not aware of the issue so there is no recall or whatsoever.
However, Samsung Korea is aware of the situation and wrote an apology letter.
They are offering a free repair (obviously).
Please wait for further announcements from Samsung Canada.

32 Comments
meill0n
Active Level 2
Wearables
I hope that they offer the free repair asap, my watch is at their service centre right now and they quoted me $250 plus tax for the repair
0 Likes
KingstonL
Active Level 3
Wearables
Did they say the "motherboard" has an issue?
0 Likes
meill0n
Active Level 2
Wearables
Yes, they said that the motherboard was gone, that only solution was replace it and pay $250 or move on and buy another watch
0 Likes
KingstonL
Active Level 3
Wearables
Exactly what they said to me as well.
However, I didn't pay for it and got the repair done cuz I didn't think it was the motherboard since all I did was to power off the device.
It didn't make sense to me how turning off a device kills the motherboard.
Then when I did some research, those articles came up.
meill0n
Active Level 2
Wearables
They just called me to tell me that my watch is ready for pick up. It ended to be $210+ tax. I told them that Samsung Korea is already covering the repair under warranty and the person told me that they don't have any note and I have to pay
KingstonL
Active Level 3
Wearables
Pay for it now and keep the record such as receipts. Samsung Korea called the customers that had already paid for the repair and refunded the money. Samsung Canada will do the same eventually. Make sure that your watch works though after. I still wouldn't recommend you powering off your device until the new firmware update comes out.
0 Likes
meill0n
Active Level 2
Wearables
Yes, I hope.that they refund the repair. I'm thinking in turn off and on the watch in front of them, so if it fails again they will have to repair it again
KingstonL
Active Level 3
Wearables
Thats also a way
0 Likes
KingstonL
Active Level 3
Wearables
After being on a call with Samsung for 2 hours, they've decided to let me get the watch repaired for free. Something called One Time Extended Warranty?? Ya, they sent shipping labels and stuff.