Original topic:

Fall detection still not working

(Topic created on: 07-25-2022 11:40 AM)
LeoneM
Active Level 1
Options
Wearables

I notice I'm not the only one posting on this but I bought a Galaxy watch for my mother as a fall safeguard.  IT DOES NOT WORK.

I have sent it back to the workshop 3 times and in nearly 15 months I have had it register one fall, and that was when I threw myself onto the bed to test it.  It has not worked before or since.

Samsung tell me that it's only an app so there's nothing they can do about it.

How about they stop advertising it as a selling point?  I spent over $700 on something that doesn't work and now need to buy something else that does. 

The amount of feedback on this is fairly constant and Samsung really need to start taking notice. A safety feature that does not work is a poor product recommendation.

14 Comments
SamsungLaura
Options
Wearables

Hi @LeoneM, I am sorry to hear that this feature is not working for you. Would you be able to share your service reference number so that I can look into this? 

Loco1529
Active Level 1
Wearables

Or you could just fix the issue. I've had every watch that said it could detect falls. None have ever worked. I tried my best to test it. I bought it for myself as i personally have bad falls. I even set it to sensitive and still nothing. So please stop asking for more info you know what you need to know. Just fix it. Also still waiting for that blood pressure option from 3 watches ago too that we are told we are all waiting on the FDA approval. Then stop advertising it. I sure didn't buy this year's and don't think I'm going to ever again. 

0 Likes
Mr_JB
Beginner Level 2
Wearables

I too am very disappointed in Samsung for blatantly  advertising Fall Detection.  ( At best false advertising, at worst deception) I have spent many hours with Tech Support trying to correct the problem.  I've even ordered a replacement watch in case it was a hardware. 

Some of the marketing information says "Now, on the Galaxy Watch4 you can opt to adjust the sensitivity so that it is capable of detecting a fall even when you’re standing still." See https://news.samsung.com/global/galaxy-watch4-feature-updates-fall-detection-gesture-control-and-mor...

I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE  TO TRIGGER the alarm.  

If anyone can tell me how to trigger it, short of jumping off my roof, your suggestions would be appreciated.  I like the watch, but purchased it mainly for the fall protection.

Loco1529
Active Level 1
Wearables

I don't think it would work jumping off the roof either to be honest. 

0 Likes
SamsungJon
Options
Wearables

Hi @Mr_JB, from what you have described, I would recommend sending an error report through the Samsung Members app so that our team can take a look into the issue remotely.

To send an error report: go into Samsung Members > tap on Get help > scroll down to Error Reports > tap OK on the agreement popup for sending system log data > select the issue category > describe the issue and frequency > tick ‘send system log data’ > tap send in the top right.

Please make sure that you keep Samsung Members open after you send the error report, as it takes some time for log data to send through.

It is recommend that you send these error reports within 3 minutes of the issue occurring to assist in identifying any potential deviations in your device performance.

Once it has been assessed by our team, you will receive a response via the Samsung Members app which can be viewed by clicking the notification bell.

0 Likes
Dcleveld
Active Level 1
Wearables

Next time I fall and break my arm, I will be sure to send an error report within three minutes instead of seeking emergency care.

gpct
Beginner Level 4
Wearables

I too just purchased a Galaxy watch 5 for precisely this purpose as it is for my 91 year old father-in-law.  I have tested this device many times, by falling on the grass, the floor, the bed and I am bruised as a result of testing.  Unfortunately not once has this device indicated a fall.  I would think it dangerous and a liability issue when a company makes this claim and then the device fails to perform every single time I have tested it.  Very disappointing.

Dcleveld
Active Level 1
Wearables

My Dad's iWatch works perfectly at detecting falls.

0 Likes
Dcleveld
Active Level 1
Wearables

I bought this watch primarily for the fall detection.   I set it up correctly and listed four people to be notified.  It has all necessary permissions.   I fell and broke my arm and no one was notified.  It's a nice watch but very disappointing that the primary feature I really need doesn't work.  BTW, my Dad's iWatch works great at detecting falls.

0 Likes