Original topic:

Galaxy Buds+ vs. Galaxy Buds: What's Changed?

(Topic created on: 02-12-2020 05:24 PM)
seobro
Active Level 6
Options
Wearables

It's official! Among the other products Samsung announced yesterday at Unpacked, they also released the successor to the Galaxy Buds from 2019: the Galaxy Buds+!

In Canada they will start a retail price of $199.99, making them identical to the original retail price of the Galaxy Buds from last year. But the + has to be an indication of change or upgrade, right?

Here's a comparison breaking down what exactly has changed:

Sound
What's changed?

1 driver  -> 2 drivers

Last year's Galaxy Buds had one driver, but this year in the Galaxy Buds+, they include two dynamic drivers (one tweeter + one woofer). 

What does this mean?

The Galaxy Buds+ should offer much better sound quality thanks to the addition of the tweeter/woofer combination and additional driver. As usual, sound quality is subjective and we should wait until tests confirm whether a noticeable difference is present.

Battery

What's changed?

Earbuds:

6 hours playtime -> 11 hours playtime

Case + Earbuds:  

13 hours playtime -> 22 hours playtime

What does this mean?

Battery life is significantly improved on the Buds+, nearly doubling on the newer model compared to last year's. Additionally, while both models still offer compatibility with wired USB-C charging, regular Qi Wireless Charging and Wireless PowerShare, the Buds+ offer an hour of playtime with 3 minutes of charge. This will allow for much quicker charging times allowing more frequent use of the Galaxy Buds+ between charges.

Galaxy Buds+: 85 mAh (Buds), 270 mAh (Case)

Galaxy Buds: 58 mAh (Buds), 252 mAh (Case)

Microphones

What's changed?

1 outer + inner microphone -> 2 outer + 1 inner microphone

What does this mean?

It's no secret that the original Galaxy Buds were lacking in the call quality aspect. In my personal use, phone calls have been dropped because callers had difficulty understanding my voice, but the addition of the microphone should theoretically improve the quality of calls. Again, this is a subjective claim so we'll have to wait for reviews to confirm this.

So... what hasn't changed?

• Both models are still rated for IPX2, which will only protect your Buds from some light splahes of water, but full submersion is at your own risk.
  • Both still use Bluetooth 5.0 to connect, though it should be noted that multi-way device connection is possible on the Buds+.
  • (In terms of Canada) the retail price of the Buds+ have not changed. They will be launching at $199.99 in March.
  • Design of the case and buds themselves are nearly identical, with some minor discrepancies between the two. For example, the markings where "L" and "R" are are now physically raised on the Buds+.
  • Both still have Noise Isolation and Ambient Aware features (accessible through the Galaxy Wearable app).

*The Galaxy Buds+ will come in Black, Blue and White. The original Galaxy Buds came in Black, Yellow and White.

**The Galaxy Buds+ will be able to pair with iOS through an app in iPhone (previously the original Buds would just pair like normal Bluetooth headphones to iPhones).

Hopefully this guide helps people who were having difficulties noticing the difference between the two models! Personally, I'd spring for the Buds+ if you don't already have the Buds.

6 Comments
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Wearables
theres a post a little down with a good comparison
found here

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearables/New-Galaxy-Buds/td-p/3657065
seobro
Active Level 6
Wearables
ah. my bad, I didn't notice this post. thanks for letting me know
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Wearables
no worries! it just easier to keep some stuff together or eventually it will get all confusing
GNote10plus
Active Level 9
Wearables
Grrr...received Galaxy Buds free with my Note 10+ a month and a half ago and not impressed...the Buds+ seems like the solution to the audio quality I've been missing
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Wearables
sell ur free buds and put the money towards the improved ones... you'll end up with everything you are looking for.. what a great time to be alive !
vape
Active Level 10
Wearables
playing music is the same. The call quality has improved alot though along with Ambient mode.