Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 charger destroying power boards

(Topic created on: 11-20-2021 03:42 PM)
kevmif
Beginner Level 2
Options
Wearables

My new Galaxy Watch 4 comes with a wireless charger with USB type A cable but no power adapter.

I understand Samsung decided not to provide an adapter to reduce e-waste, which is a friendly way of saying they are cutting costs.  I can deal with that though. Most people have a handful of USB adapters for charging or USB power boards / computers with USB ports.

What really pisses me off though, is that this stupid charger has ruined two perfectly good power boards. Two decent quality boards (different brands) now have excessive coil whine and will not charge the watch. The charger works if I plug it in to the adapter for my phone. So I contact support who literally told me that only Samsung chargers are supported. **bleep**? Now I have two useless power boards (can't sleep with that audible coil whine in same room) and no confidence in this product. Why they **bleep** would you offer a standard type A USB plug, if you don't want people plugging it in to a USB port? If it requires a specific charger, hard wire the bloody thing like on my previous Samsung watch?

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I don't like my chances of Samsung reimbursing me for the power boards, but I am strongly considering returning this watch. Samsung are not the high quality company they used to be :(

8 Comments
Wearables
Which charging bricks are you using?
I haven't had any issues with any of my Samsung Watch Chargers and Wireless chargers?

SamsungLaura
Options
Wearables

Hi @kevmif, we do recommend using genuine Samsung chargers and accessories for all of our devices as they are designed to work specifically for our products.

I'm happy to send you a Samsung charger free of charge if you can send me your address details via email with the below details:

To: members.au@samsung.com

Subject: SamsungLaura Watch4 Charger

Details: Name, phone number, address. 

kevmif
Beginner Level 2
Wearables

Thanks Laura. Email sent.

Respectfully, if you intend for people to only use your chargers and if that is the solution to any and all charging problems, then they should be included in the box and it should be made very clear that other chargers are not recommended.

This is especially important with the prevalence of USB power boards, charging stations etc.

Perhaps Samsung should try harder to make sure their USB devices work acceptably with a more standardised range of USB chargers, in which case you could reasonably opt to ship devices without including a charger.

Thanks

0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
Wearables

Hi @kevmif, I've responded to your email and arranged for a wall charger to be sent out to the details you've provided. 

0 Likes
sekito
Active Level 6
Wearables

no issues. it's a 5w charger, problem is likely your pb not the wire.

0 Likes
kevmif
Beginner Level 2
Wearables

Two separate boards, both reasonable quality, both working fine until I plug this device in, both have excessive and persistent coil whine afterwards? Pretty sure both boards support up to 5w. If it is doing this to power boards, what could it possibly do to a PC?

In the short term, I am charging my S10 via power board and using the S10 charger for the watch.

The power board that made a significant amount of noise was a HPM board which may have only been 2.4amp USB but still should be plenty.

The other one which has less noise but still noticeable is a 4.5a cordtech board. These are both reasonable quality boards, not cheap sub $20 rubbish but not exactly top of the range either.

Wow... overzealous censor much?? Can't say 4 letter word beginning with C roughly synonymous with junk / rubbish / poor quality...

0 Likes
Icelite
Active Level 6
Wearables
I recently got a power cube with a usb A connection so far working fine also works with my Cygnett Duo wireless powerbank and charging dock usb A ports.
The thing I don't understand is why it isn't a usb C plug since the phones is compatible with all use that.
But luckily I had a S9+ that came with a usb A - usb C converter that works great.
0 Likes
Members_tq8XZAm
Beginner Level 3
Wearables

I had this exaclty same issue today!
Two perfectly good chargers, one 120w Beasus and other 65w from Ugreen, both destroyed up to the point I can't charge my laptop anymore.

Samsung must be accountable for these kind of things. I am trevelling and relying on the chargers to work and study. There was no warning to "ONLY USE Samsung chargers".
If the value of the chargers were sumed up, it would be woth more than the watch itself.

I am so angry about it. Even though the watch has no more warranty, I am going to look for a lawer advice about all the troubles I had with this situation. Samsung should recall all this cables and wathcs and warn its consumers about the potential damage to their devices.