Original topic:

Galaxy watch 4 has a new update

(Topic created on: 11-14-2022 04:14 PM)
Prometheus1893
Active Level 3
Options
Wearables
I think this new update fixes the issue with devices being bricked when they are turned off. Also has the November security patch. 

28 Comments
rpwong
Active Level 1
Wearables

Despite Samsung posting a notice yesterday (November 15) that the update was halted, I received a prompt this morning (November 16) to run it. I didn't know about the bricking issue before, but I sure do now.

There are no service centres near me and it took 90 minutes to get a Live Chat rep. However, they can't set up shipping without a receipt from a watch I bought over a year ago, even though it's registered in my Samsung Account. Instead, they offered to give me contact information for another department that I would have to call myself.

I'm guessing they want the receipt in case the watch wasn't broken by an update. But even if it turns out to be something else, they still know it's out of warranty from my product registration.

I try to be very understanding toward customer-service reps, because it's a difficult job most of the time. But this is maddening. Just a horrible way to start the day. And it's not the rep's fault that Samsung's support process is broken.

I'm still waiting on live chat, having demanded that the rep escalate me to someone else who can help.

UPDATE: After waiting for a new rep, I was told that my case had been forwarded to a different team and they'll respond within 24-48 hours with options. I think the original rep just did that and disconnected me, so that I went back into the queue. Fantastic use of three hours.

I really hope the options I'm given are less ridiculous.

0 Likes
rpwong
Active Level 1
Wearables

48 hours later, I've heard nothing from Samsung. Fantastic.

0 Likes
Buadih
Active Level 1
Wearables
Go scorched earth on all their social media
rpwong
Active Level 1
Wearables

I ended up calling them. Got a guy immediately. He couldn't find my case number in the system, and said that they have different systems for live chat and phone support. Which makes no sense, but whatever.

He also asked for my receipt, but quickly pivoted to pushing an exception and sending me a shipping label. So I got more from him in about half an hour than I did from the Live Chat folks in three hours.

Again, whatever. I just hope that the actual repair/replacement doesn't generate further headaches.

0 Likes
Wearables
Wow, sounds like Samsung's customer service through chat is the opposite of Samsung hardware. I honestly don't even get why they have the chat service if they're not even going to bother trying. I've previously had terrible experiences while waiting for my orders to ship. Still, I'm glad you have the shipping label. Hopefully the repair/replacement goes smoothly at least. Do keep us posted
0 Likes
rpwong
Active Level 1
Wearables

For sure. I took it to FedEx last night, so we'll see how long it takes for the repair centre to contact me.

0 Likes
rpwong
Active Level 1
Wearables

Samsung says that my watch is repaired and will be shipped back to me within five days. Pretty quick, considering that they only acknowledged receipt of it this morning (after FedEx delivered it a week ago). I'm assuming that they just had to reflash the firmware.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again!

0 Likes
Wearables
That's fantastic news! I'm glad it worked out for you. Keeping fingers crossed it doesn't
0 Likes
rpwong
Active Level 1
Wearables

FedEx is delivering my watch today, and I got a call from the service centre with details. Apparently the only fix is to replace the mainboard, because that firmware update completely killed it.

I get a 90-day warranty on the repair from the service centre. I'll do some splash tests to make sure the seals aren't compromised, but that can wait until after the holidays.