Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Bad For Running

(Topic created on: 10-26-2022 10:43 AM)
kmt333
Beginner Level 4
Options
Wearables
Has anyone  else had the following problem? The watch 5 pro is quite a good smart watch but not a great sports watch. I turn on the always on display when running but it doesn't appear to be truly always on. It goes into a semi dimmed state until I raise my wrist. It also seems to pause the real-time data so that it is not showing my accurate pace until I raise my wrist and the display goes back to full brightness. Instead it looks like it shows the pace from when the screen semi dimmed. When I do raise my wrist full brightness comes back and the real-time data changes to display my current speed/pace etc. This means I have to raise my wrist and wait a few seconds for the data to update which makes the alway on screen completely useless and also means I'm looking at the watch way too much just to get a quick update. 

I had the same problem with my Galaxy Watch 4 too. I also own a Garmin Epix 2 which does not have this problem and is an excellent sports watch but not a great smart watch. I got the 5 pro as I wanted the LTE and really hoped this problem would have been solved as it is promoted as a good sports watch.

I'm sure this is easy to fix and I hope Samsung do so. Or am I doing something wrong?

6 Comments
Wearables
Hello!

Yes that's the same for me. I'm not an extreme runner though so I didn't particularly mind it.

I believe always on display is to provide some functionality while at the same time, reducing battery drain. If inside having the screen literally on all the time for 30+minutes would kill the battery too quickly and other people may complain about that. I'd imagine this was a middle ground between having data visible and battery life.

I am surprised the samsung is quite accurate compared to my old polar though.

Hope samsung keeps improving their products, which I've no doubt they will.
kmt333
Beginner Level 4
Wearables
It would be great if they could keep the display info updated in real time even with the battery saving dimming. Even having the info update every second or some such would be better than what they currently have now I reckon.
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Wearables
You have always on for display but, not having a watch, does it have an always on for that particular app? If so and this works you would have to turn off always on after each use. Also I recommend Googling the problem as that usually has more solutions.
0 Likes
kmt333
Beginner Level 4
Wearables
The instructions are now to manually turn on the aod for exercise activities. There appears to be no aod setting for the health app specifically although I think it was once possible to set auto aod in health. I will continue to google but I'm hoping the best place for a Samsung problemb is a Samsung forum.
0 Likes
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Wearables
In other devices there is the option Settings, Permissions and then several related options including the ability to look at individual apps and their options. Just found this
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061436/#:~:text=For%20the%20Galaxy%20Watch4%20and,the....
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Wearables
1. When you open Samsung Members go to the bottom right button 'Support'. Start exploring. It is a peculiar page as in some areas you find something brief and it doesn't show up advice until you click on the brief setting.
2. The members area is usually only read by those with problems or tho se who like to suggest solutions, not by the general members. So if your problem happened some time people ago it doesn't show up unless the right keyword is used on the separate search option.
3. Samsung Members queries show up in Google searches as Samsung Members is web page based so if you choose the right keywords you find Samsung solutions in addition to others. The trick in Google is to try various combinations of keywords as otherwise you end up with thousands of hits and the one you want you don't find because it is many pages further down in the results. If you want to search a phrase enclose the quote in quote marks. For more sophisticated searches e.g. by country, by date and other options Google "Advanced Search" and use that feature.