cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Watch 4 not working after i gone swimming..

(Topic created on: 06-21-2022 03:21 AM)
Bert_M
Active Level 2
Options
Wearables
So yes i had this some kind of relaxation to the beach with my samsung gadgets but to my dismay after having a little swim my watch 4 classic powered down so i remove it thinking the battery died and let it dry in the room and after a few hours i tried charging it but it wont charge.. fast forward i went to samsung service center megamall to get it check since it is still under waranty but after 2 days i got a message and they are charging me a total of 18,550 for parts and labor. I think this is a scam knowing that it is watere resistance but the watch will be damaged when used in the water... 
8 Comments
Magnaguard
Active Level 9
Wearables
Salt water reacts differently with tech as opposed to freshwater. Salt water is much more corrosive and of course, contains minute salts that can damage the seals that provide said water protection. And yes, IP ratings (water and dust resistance) conduct their accreditation tests using freshwater.
Unknoẅn_useř
Active Level 10
Wearables
Water Resistant doesn't mean its Water Proof and what Magnaguard said is correct, IP ratings tests are done under lab conditions and not real life usage conditions.
SamsungRightCare
Community Manager
Options
Wearables

Hi, Bert_M!

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. But Galaxy Watch4's IP68 rating (water resistance) only applies in freshwater conditions. It is not advised for use on beaches and/or swimming pools. You can check this page for more information about our gadget's IP68 rating: https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/ip68/

You can also call our customer support so we can help you with your issue. Here are our contact details:

Mobile Devices Hotline:
#GALAXY (just dial #425299) [Toll Free to all networks]
(02) 8422-2177 [Standard Landline]
Available 24/7

You can also send us an email through here or chat with us through our Live Chat Support.

0 Likes
Bert_M
Active Level 2
Wearables
Yes i understand water resistance is not water proof. Water resistance has limitations which i think i didnt abused and does that mean when expose to sea water for a few minutes the seals will be damaged instantly? If so? It means that samsung used poor quality materials that will be easily damaged for just being exposed in sea water in just a few minutes.
0 Likes
Unknoẅn_useř
Active Level 10
Wearables
There's always a higher chance for the water seals to be weakened on sea water compare to pool water. If the seals are weakened then sea water can enter the device depending on the water pressure.
0 Likes
Bert_M
Active Level 2
Wearables
Yes your right.. it can weaken the seals,but used it once in sea water for a few mins. I dont think it will be broken instantly. My device is only 6 months old. I would understand if my device is more than 1yr and already worned out. Also the water didnt even passed my waist i dont think water pressure will have a role in it.
0 Likes
Unknoẅn_useř
Active Level 10
Wearables
Sea water contains different kind of minerals that can easily dissolve the water seals, I read a case similar to this in reddit, they take their phone out in the sea (S series phone) to take pictures underwater for a few minutes, then the phone have kind of suffer some water damage, speaker now won't work properly.

Also, I think (not sure) there's a caution in the manual that warns about using the device in sea water.
0 Likes
Bert_M
Active Level 2
Wearables
Also please dont put in your features the swimming workout if it cant be used for swimming.
0 Likes