Original topic:

Watch 4 SOS Unusable

(Topic created on: 09-19-2021 10:06 PM)
Covo
Active Level 2
Options
Wearables

I bought my Watch 4  Classic (Bluetooth) mainly for fall detection as I have a very rare form of MND (only 1 in 250,000 people, so only 100 or so in Australia) and have suffered a number of serious falls including broken bones, concussions,  numerous stitches and bruises etc..

For the last 2½ years I've had a MediAlarm pendant worn around my neck but in that time it has not detected one of the probably 25 times I've fallen! 😯   Hopefully the watch is a big improvement!  Having not worn a watch for 20+ years due to my MND I'm loving it!!!

My problem is with the option of pressing the Home button 3 times for SOS.  I would have thought common sense would have suggested the SOS function was put in place primarily for the elderly and disabled?  My hands still function reasonably well but despite numerous tries I CANNOT press the Home button quickly enough.  My wife can, so it is set up properly. 

Do I assume there is no way to alter the SOS presses timings? 

Assuming no, is there any way to inform Samsung to request something along those lines please?  If I'm unable to even activate it when fully conscious I obviously have absolutely no hope if I'm stunned or in pain after a fall.  

22 Comments
nrnp
Active Level 3
Wearables
I feel sorry for you mate. May be try setting up SOS stuff with Google assistant when it is available. Not sure if bixby can do it
SamsungLaura
Options
Wearables

Hi @covo, I am sorry to hear of the experience you had with set up. To set up SOS: 

• Navigate to Watch Settings > Advanced Features > SOS.
  • The watch will then ask you to give certain permissions for the SOS features to work correctly.
  • Once you are in the SOS option, enable the when hard fall is detected option.
  • If you don’t have an emergency contact added, the watch will ask you to choose from your contacts. You can also create a new one.
Covo
Active Level 2
Wearables

Thanks for your reply Laura.  Have done all that as I said, the problem being for disabled people like myself or the elderly the time allowed for registering 3 Home key presses is far too short.  My wife tested it and it did work for her, so it's all set up properly. 

My hands and fingers still work reasonably well, it's more my legs which don't, but even in a non emergency I can't press it quickly enough to register as an SOS Summons.  Defeats the whole point of having it if the people most likely to do it can't use it!   

To be honest, I can't see the point of having the timing set so short for 3 presses!  Only people who are likely to need it, like myself, will even bother to set it up and if the time allowed was sufficient for us to accidentally activate it we can always cancel.  Besides which, who in their right minds is going to accidentally press the Home key 3 times in a row quickly enough to register?  Even if they do they can cancel.

SamsungLaura
Options
Wearables

Hi @Covo, thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately after following up with the team, I was unable to find an alternative to triggering SOS besides triple click, or fall detection. Please note your feedback has not gone unnoticed and will be passed on internally to the relevant department. 

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out and I will do my best to assist you. 

Steve9
Beginner Level 2
Wearables

Hi Laura.

Has there been any update on this?

My elderly mother also has significant issues to reliably trigger the SOS function, under normal conditions.
I don't even want to think about her having to trigger the SOS when she is unwell and in need of assistance.

We really need more options to configure how an SOS is triggered, such as holding the button, tapping the wrist against a hard surface, or clapping.

At the very least, a much higher tolerance for the speed at which the button is pressed 3 times, please.

SamsungLaura
Options
Wearables

Hi Steve9, thanks for reaching out. For us to look into the watch's capability, I suggest sending an error report from the connection mobile device. 

To send an error report for a wearable, follow these steps:

1. Go to Galaxy Wearables app > click on the device desired on the side menu
  2. In the side menu, tap Contact us > Error reports (in the Get help section)
  3. Fill in details and the frequency of the issue that you have with the wearable.
  4. Click send.

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/send-sos-messages-on-samsung-watch/ 

0 Likes
Steve9
Beginner Level 2
Wearables

Thanks for your reply Laura.

This is not an error but a feature request.

In a previous reply to another customer with the same suggestion in this thread you wrote:
"Hi @Covo, thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately after following up with the team, I was unable to find an alternative to triggering SOS besides triple click, or fall detection. Please note your feedback has not gone unnoticed and will be passed on internally to the relevant department."

I was merely following up to see if the "relevant department" had finally decided to hear the customer feedback and address the issue of the most likely target audience not being able to reliably trigger the SOS function.

Thank you.

aymelis
Active Level 1
Wearables

Hi @covo, I think LAura from Samsung meant that you should enable the automatic fall detection. So you would not have to trigger the SOS yourself. When it detects a hard fall, it sends the SOS for you automatically.

I discovered that this morning as my friends received a SOS from me. The "funny" part is that I did not fall... This was a false fall detection. A "flase positive" is better than a "false negative" though.

Hope this helps

0 Likes
merrik
Active Level 1
Wearables

Hi ' funnily I just found this while I am just working through with a Samsung Support person.  I could not test SOS and was not sure it was working.  

We tried the lightest fairy 3 taps on the top button and SOS worked.  This was a test so I then tried to cancel within the 5 seconds - aaaagh! 

It would not cancel but it did mean my SOS person got to see the type of message.  He read it but did not seem to have to do something to action it or cancel it.  That was 20 mins ago and no ambulance has arrived - does that mean the system knows that SOS person read the sms or is their passive response just assumed.

a.  we need to know how the system works IN DETAIL to feel that it is a safety benefit

b.  we need to be able to test the system (throwing my watch at the bed does not trigger fall detection)

0 Likes