Original topic:

Wear OS for Galaxy Watch 3

(Topic created on: 06-16-2021 07:28 PM)
Dilanp
Active Level 3
Options
Wearables
Hi all! First post here

I just ordered the galaxy watch 3 to replace my old 1st Gen watch because I saw a great discount... But after I see that the Watch 4 is coming out soon with wear OS...

Is there any chance the watch 3 could get the update from Tizen to Wear OS? We've already seen Samsung switch from android to Tizen in the mid life of a watch.

If not I might consider returning the W3 to get the last version...
10 Comments
Lokks
Active Level 3
Wearables
No Samsung announced that they won't update the old watches
0 Likes
Dilanp
Active Level 3
Wearables
So it's official? When did they announced it?
0 Likes
Wearables
Hi Dilanp, welcome to Samaung Community.

As I know GW3 will not upgrade to WearOS. WearOS will begin on GW4.
0 Likes
Simba1
Active Level 6
Wearables
The Galaxy watch 3 will continue to receive 3 years of updates
0 Likes
Lokks
Active Level 3
Wearables
Those will be Tizen updates not wearos
0 Likes
Nicktendo
Beginner Level 2
Wearables
To be clear, three years from launch, so currently the Galaxy watch 3 has just over two years of updates, which could be completely limited to bug fixes and security patches. It is entirely possible the watch will begin to lose functionality during those two years, as in feature support and app integration.
0 Likes
Valeriya
Options
Wearables

Hi, welcome to the Samsung Members Community Canada. In this Community we Samsung Members assist each other with any suggestions or troubleshooting issues with our Samsung devices. We also share pictures taken from the Samsung devices in the Galaxy Gallery Section.

0 Likes
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Wearables
What I would like to know is why bother to buy Samsung watches when 3/4 of its features doesn't work in Canada. It's a waste of money even if it's a reduced price 🤷
Nicktendo
Beginner Level 2
Wearables
So extremely disappointed with this watch and will likely never buy a Samsung watch ever again. Little to no customization, advertised features not available in Canada when other watches had them for years, and now the news that they're will never be another OS upgrade on a device less than a year old. So extremely unsatisfied.

I bought a Galaxy watch 3 for my wife and I, and this decision was based heavily on the watch having ECG, Blood pressure, and sp02. At the time I was unaware these features were unavailable in Canada, and this information was not easily available, and I didn't look for it, because Samsung was advertising these features with no disclaimer. I'm sure there was something in the fine print, but it should have been far more clear. No big deal, I'll just wait, these features will eventually be available...right? Well I'm still waiting, and now it feels like they've all but abandoned this EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE smartwatch. I've lost all hope that these features will ever come to this watch. I feel like I was told I was buying the best new watch on the market. Sure I knew it would eventually be replaced by a newer, better model, but I figured I'd get more than a year out of it before being told "no more OS upgrades, and we're only supporting it for another 2 years."

I've spent a lot of money for two watches with a 3 year lifespan, I will never, EVER buy another Samsung smartwatch. I used to praise Samsung over Apple, and Apple may be a lot of things, but at least their watches do the things they say it does. I would be returning them if I had the option!