Original topic:

Canadian S20 5G (SM-G981W) eSIM support?

(Topic created on: 07-30-2022 01:59 PM)
Mathsss
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy S
Hi,

I saw that in the USA the S20 5G eSIM support was pushed via software update long time ago. Is there any intention to push to Canadian version of S20 5G (SM-G981W)? I have started to travel in the US for business and would love this feature. 

Thanks,

Math
10 Comments
Axton
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, Yes, eSIM feature will be enabled via a software update.
Additional models will be added to the list as made available.
As of now it is available on S21, Note 20 and S22 series.

Mathsss
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Will it comes at the same time as ONE UI 4.1.1 or 5.0? Any Estimate?
0 Likes
Mathsss
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
@axton can you confirm that One UI 5.0 will bring eSIM feature?
Danyboy191
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
I know this an old post but to follow up, is there an estimated time frame for when the Galaxy S20 in Canada (SM-G981W) will get the esim feature enabled? Users in the US got the feature updated over the past few months but we're still waiting here in Canada. Giving these generic answers is not the solution. I'm starting to have serious doubts that we'll ever see the esim feature enabled on the Canadian version of the S20 so it's up to Samsung to restore that confidence.
Mathsss
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Hi Axton, thanks for the update! Can't wait to be able to add some data without going to buy a physical SIM.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Unless you are talking about swapping out one Carrier's SIM, for another Carrier's SIM, you can't actually use two Physical SIMs in the Canadian model of the S20 series, unlike some European models that have two SIM card slots. 

If Samsung Canada, does in fact provide the software update to allow the use of eSIM for the S20 series, eSIM would be enabled & include the SIM Manager. 

0 Likes
Mathsss
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
That's exactly what I want. Keeping my Rogers SIM in for Wifi calling and using eSIM to have data for Google maps, Teams, etc... while outside of Wifi zone.
0 Likes
Mathsss
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
I am talking about (SM-G981W) BTW
0 Likes
Mathsss
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Following up....Any hope on getting this feature?