Original topic:

Fold3 wifi and foldable screen issues when opening screen

(Topic created on: 03-26-2023 01:49 PM)
Members_Iie6iLf
Beginner Level 3
Options
Galaxy Z

Dear Members,

I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the flagship Fold3 phone that I purchased 14 months ago,  and hoping to leverage community for help.

After recent software update, the phone has developed a hardware issue with the foldable screen: as soon as I open the foldable screen, the wifi stops working, and the phone resets itself within minutes. This has caused a great deal of frustration as I rely heavily on my phone for both personal and professional use.

Despite performing a hard factory reset, the issue persists - as soon as I open the foldable screen the wifi and the speaker sound stops working. Within a few minutes, the screen goes blank and the phone turns off. 

I was dismayed to discover that many other users have reported similar issues just after the warranty period is over, and that a class action lawsuit has been initiated in the United States. When I visited the service center in Singapore, I was told that I would likely need to get the foldable screen replaced, and since the device warranty had just expired, it would cost somewhere $900. This news was extremely disappointing and frustrating, especially considering the high price tag of the device and the fact that the issue is clearly a hardware problem. It is unacceptable that a company like Samsung would provide no support for such a significant issue, especially after only 12 months of ownership. I expected better from a company that prides itself on innovation and quality.

Has anyone managed to fix the issue without replacing the screen? Is there a way to reach out to proper Samsung decision makers? If it comes to spending $900 again for a workable phone, for sure I would invest into another brand to avoid disappointments again. I suspected that by the 3rd generation, Samsung resolves hardware issues around the foldable technology. Clearly I was wrong. 

Product:Fold3 5G (model SM-F926B/DS)
One UI:5.1, Android 13

10 Comments
jamesbob
Active Level 7
Galaxy Z
I think you can forget about it. Unless there is truly a class law suit, otherwise I don't believe Samsung SG will ever move things or even acknowledge that their software patches screw things up, despite globally indicated otherwise.we have the first we'll known global s20 screen issues but today in SG context, this is very silent so u can give up..

Unless you have a lot of influences that can sway consumers
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Yeah even the change.org is useless to change things, so the news that came out about the Note 20 Ultra LCD issue just got swiped off really quickly.
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Now I truly understand their pain, as I am experiencing wifi button not working.
Alan84
Active Level 2
Galaxy Z
Yeah, I feel you. Am having the same after update the latest UI 5.1. This is so annoying.
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Hey, ur phone also suddenly restarts?
MicahC
Active Level 3
Galaxy Z

ZF3 using from Hong Kong, with same issue, after update One Ui 5.0 to 5.1 and the phone restart it could not go on Wi-Fi. Tried "General Management" "Reset"  "Reset network settings" did not work, tried "Factory Reset" and did not resolve it.

Brought it in to service center and had the same telling me the Wi-Fi module is damage and need to change it, but because its link to the LCD it will need to be change as well (repair cost 4200hk$ 535US$ **bleep**) after 2 day back and forward they told me they give me 50% off the repair cost, as I did not want to wait anymore I paid for the new quotation and now waiting for my phone to get repaired because I press update 5.0 to 5.1 lol.  

Rulioismagic
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z

While travelling in Europe from HK, my Fold 3 has started to have sound issues, now it is Wifi failing, i think this is a hardware issue for a phone that is only 14 months old,

it is incredible to see such a weak hardware set up.

0 Likes
Prasad4
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z

I have experienced the same experience with my fold 3. And have been using the front screen only for some time now hoping the issue would go away with restarts and deleting new I've been a Samsung user for many years now, and I feel Samsung needs to provide more support to its loyal customers especially with the flag ship models like the Z fold. I would think twice in before I purchase a Samsung phone in future.

0 Likes
ZZBMT
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Z
I should have read your reviews before buying. Same problem with Fold 4 too. Having similar issue ex no WiFi, no sound , screen blanks and require restart each time. It has to happen 1 week after warranty. Many reports on this and my friend and his wife fold 3 had similar issues. Require screen change SGD 700+ and diagnostic fee. Been with Samsung for many umpteen years and if they do not take for the inferior parts. That's it. Time to switch. I wish I had the capacity to sue them.