Did you mean: 

Original topic:

OneUI 6 vs OneUI 5.1

(Topic created on: 11-21-2023 10:00 PM)
EllisKai
Active Level 9
Options
Others
1. The apps in secure folder look compressed with small icons (kinda too small). I wish the grid was customisable. But now, the option to sort them is back (from OneUI 4 I think). In OneUI 5, they follow how you sort the apps in the main app drawer.

OneUI 6:

OneUI 5.1:

2. The icons in app drawer are now bigger and I don't like it. You can resize the icons but that will force you to use stock icon pack. You can change individual icons but come on there's a lot of apps. You can't resize icon packs other than the default as of this writing. 

OneUI 5.1:

OneUI 6:

3. You now have to be really intentional about minimising a floating app. I didn't have a problem with the previous version and it was quicker back then. 

OneUI 5.1:

4. HomeUp needs to be updated after every restart or after applying an icon pack (or maybe after applying themes too - I haven't tried changing themes because it might get complicated and I already like how it is set up). The pop-up folders now are ugly so I have to go back to default folder view looking like a page of its own. I'll just wait for them to further optimise it. 

Bigger widgets keeps getting disabled:

Default folder view:

5. You can now split screen or pop-up apps from quick launcher (one hand operation+) I hope you the edge panels can rotate with screen orientation, not just on the sides, because top and bottom are "edges" too, right? 

I used to just do this in task switcher pop-up menu:

6. You are now offered some final edits before sharing photos like in Facebook messenger. 

7. They've added some nodes to MultiStar gesture size adjustment slider, removing the option to set it ever so slightly to the exact size you want. And I think split screen apps now are allowed to extend to the camera hole by default 

Slider in OneUI 6:

In OneUI 5.1

MultiStar in OneUI 6 seems to have a missing option.. 

...compared to what's in OneUI 5.1... 

...because they've been added to OneUI 6 main settings:

Update November 23 2023:

8. I can no longer swipe (one hand operation+) to go back to an app opened from a widget once closed using back gesture. 

OneUI 5.1:
9. Someone asked about the quick settings menu so I have to say..

I wish they didn't change it but I just have to bear with it and in time, move on. I like the new animation. 

I immediately noticed the needed effort for me to reach the toggles that I usually control in previous UI so I edited the full menu layout and put them at the very bottom possible. I also like that I can now have a different set of toggles at the top row of the notifications and in the full menu. I can see myself tweaking it further with longer time of use. 

There's not much of a change in functionality - still the same on/off switches, unlike IPhone's control center where you save more taps for adjusting torch brightness for example. 

The only thing customisable in the full menu is the middle part. I wish I could remove some toggles they've added at the bottom cause I don't use them and extend the middle (add 1 more row) to add the last 5 toggles I have on the next page. I like that they've removed the (+) button from the menu itself and replaced it with a pencil at the top for editing the layout. It's weird that they still didn't include the grid control in it. And editing it is cumbersome because the grid in the editor is different from the actual menu. I think it would also better if we could reposition its different areas like the clock in lock screen. 

Update November 24 2023:

10. This is nice. Starting a mode can now be set as an action in routines:

Back in OneUI 5.1, modes can only by added as a condition. 

Why would you want to add a mode in your routine when you already can switch it on automatically? The main difference between modes and routines is that modes only need one of the conditions to be activated - what if you only want it active on a specific time and specific location? Well, routines take into account all the conditions before they become active. So by adding a mode as an action in your routines, you enhance it's automation. Also, by doing this, you can now add a switchable action to your routines. You can discontinue the mode and keep the rest of actions running while the routine is still active. 

I still wish I'm not limited to just 50 routines. 

11. The full screen reminder is now more readable. I like the background better. I think it would be even better if we can make the font bigger. 

It is still irritating and embarrassing when I can't stop a strong reminder after (I think) I accidentally swiped the screen while pulling the phone out my pocket. The full screen reminder won't be there but the alarm would keep on playing. Tapping the reminder in notification will the screen is locked won't put it back on full screen so I won't be able to stop it unless I unlock the phone and tap on the notification. I just mute all sounds so I could unlock the phone then tap the notification and tap the check button quietly - and it usually happens in public places and seeing the looks of strangers, it makes me feel kinda ashamed of having an unruly Samsung phone for a moment. Ha! 

0 Likes
5 Comments
Others
4. Home Up. I thought it was just mine. Yeah. Hope they'd fix it soon.
TeamGalaxyBianx
Options
Others

We appreciate your insights, EllisKai! Thanks for this very detailed feedback. 😊

0 Likes
Lambsauce
Active Level 6
Others
Whats your thoughts about the new quick panel that is not so one ui/one hand friendly anymore
EllisKai
Active Level 9
Others
I wish they didn't change it but I just have to bear with it and in time, move on. I like the new animation.

I immediately noticed the needed effort for me to reach the toggles that I usually control in previous UI so I edited the full menu layout and put them at the very bottom possible. I also like that I can now have a different set of toggles at the top row of the notifications and in the full menu. I can see myself tweaking it further with longer time of use.

There's not much of a change in functionality - still the same on/off switches, unlike IPhone's control center where you save more taps for adjusting torch brightness for example.

The only thing customisable in the full menu is the middle part. I wish I could remove some toggles they've added at the bottom cause I don't use them and extend the middle (add 1 more row) to add the last 5 toggles I have on the next page. I like that they've removed the (+) button from the menu itself and replaced it with a pencil at the top for editing the layout. It's weird that they still didn't include the grid control in it. And editing it is cumbersome because the grid in the editor is different from the actual menu. I think it would also better if we could reposition its different areas like the clock in lock screen.20231123_152714_1000012290_1700724434.jpg20231123_152754_1000012291_1700724474.jpg20231123_152636_1000012289_1700724396.jpg20231123_152841_1000012292_1700724521.jpg
0 Likes
EllisKai
Active Level 9
Others
Some of the toggles can be controlled by swiping the edge of the screen using one hand operation+.

You can set up to 6 areas that can be placed near your reach. Each area can hold 6 gestures to control or change the phone settings.

You can also set up a small pop-up for some quick toggles.1700726285271.jpg1700726289950.jpg
0 Likes