Original topic:

DeX 4K60 - why not?

(Topic created on: 05-22-2022 08:49 AM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Samsung DeX
Motorola's "Ready For" desktop mode outputs 4K at 60Hz with no specific adapter or additional software required. Why doesn't DeX do this?

DeX requires that you have Android 12 and install Good Lock and the MultiStar module to output just 1440p on third party adapters - DeX doesn't support 4K, period. Good Lock is not available in every region so this also locks out a large portion of DeX's users from ever running more than 1080p.

Samsung, take note: Motorola's desktop mode has truly surpassed DeX at this point and clearly demonstrates the anti-consumer limitations Samsung has imposed on DeX. 

If Motorola can deliver a desktop mode with features like this (not to mention a far better UI), there's no reason Samsung can't.

To illustrate, check out this video: https://youtu.be/-HsJUgXrkNI

13 Comments
Bradg
Active Level 3
Samsung DeX

It would sure be nice to have native 1080p, 1440p, and 4k resolution support

Up the ante and out do motorola and support dual displays too!

atretador
Beginner Level 5
Samsung DeX

I would replace my current work laptop with my phone if it had that.

Helenna
Options
Samsung DeX

Hi, we will consider it as feedback and forward it to the team.

Samsung always appreciate customers who take their time out to give us their valuable feedback and suggestions.

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Samsung DeX
Thanks, Helenna! We just want DeX to continue improving, so I'm glad to see feedback considered.
Vectrex71CH
Beginner Level 3
Samsung DeX

Motorola Ready4 gets more love than DEX. DEX seems still the same as it was back then on S8+ 

Sajjad_x
Beginner Level 4
Samsung DeX

Looks like your wish has come true! Dex now supports 2160p60 on One UI 5 (Android 13).

Thank you so much and also to Helenna who delivered your  voice and the Devs who worked on making it possible.

satpassion
Beginner Level 4
Samsung DeX

I finally upgraded my Fold 4 to android 13 and One UI 5.
So, I tried connecting my fold 4, either wirelessly or USB, to my notebook with 4K's screen. However, I saw that the resolution is locked to FHD! Even selecting the Multistar's module item that allows extending the resolution of external screens.
Have any of you been able to use Dex in 4K?

mkdr
Beginner Level 3
Samsung DeX

I have the same problem with my S21FE, doesnt work. Stays at FHD (seen in the DEX info on the phones settings). Also tried the multistars option to force higher resolution, does nothing. I am connecting my S21FE to a 4k laptop via usbc cable (high data usb c cable 10gb/s) running DEX on Windows 11. Doesnt work.

Thanks for nothing I guess Samsung. My theory is, that they forget to also add support for DEX over usbc, and it might just work over HDMI?

Bradg
Active Level 3
Samsung DeX

it's just not DeX on the PC that we're talking about

but native dex, from phone to a dedicated monitor