Original topic:

Blood oxygen alert when sleeping Samsung galaxy watch

(Topic created on: 10-20-2023 05:51 AM)
Frangovisck
Beginner Level 4
Options
Wearables

I have sleep apnea hypopnea, which causes my breathing to slow down while I sleep and my blood oxygen to drop below 90%. To manage this condition, I use a CPAP machine. However, I have found that I tend to remove the mask while I'm sleeping, and my oxygen levels drop below 90% frequently. 

Since my smartwatch can measure my blood oxygen saturation (spo2) while I sleep, I think it would be helpful if it could send me vibration alerts if my oxygen levels drop below 90% for more than 30 seconds. This would alert me to wake up and breathe properly again instead of being under 90% for more than 10 minutes, which can damage my brain.

I understand that the watch may not be able to detect this if it is not properly attached to my wrist (as indicated by the dotted line), so the alerts should only be sent when there is no dotted line. I had to buy a Huawei band 8 that has this function, which means I have to use two watches just for this simple purpose.

You guys could be helping improving increasing people healthy with such small feature.

7 Comments
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Wearables
Have you checked oxygen apps in Play Store? Or Googled android oxygen apps?
Frangovisck
Beginner Level 4
Wearables
I've looked that up and I haven't find such a app that vibrates your watch at low oxygen saturation when sleeping
0 Likes
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Wearables
Since the important issue is giving you an alarm, not the watch, would you consider other options?
https://www.turnermedical.com/PULSE_OXIMETER_WITH_ALARM_s/72.htm
Frangovisck
Beginner Level 4
Wearables
I wanted to say thanks for your suggestion. Although I considered buying the option you suggested, I eventually bought the Huawei Band 8, which has similar functions and a longer battery life.

I just wanted to share my opinion on the Samsung Galaxy Watch. I believe it would be great if they could add the feature that monitors oxygen levels, which is already available in some of their competitors' watches. This feature could save a lot of people from the trouble of monitoring their oxygen levels manually and also help them avoid brain damage due to oxygen deprivation. It would save people the cost of buying two different watches for different purposes.

Thank you again for your suggestion, and I hope my feedback can be useful.
TheGreatTyrant
Beginner Level 4
Wearables

This is a great suggestion and I'm surprised Samsung has not responded. 

I would argue that instead of customers buying 2 watches, we will simply buy one watch, a watch that has the features we want. This translates into lost sales and customers for Samsung. If they don't listen to their customers, and if they aren't implementing features that competitors are, they're going to lose market share, not only in wearables but overall, as folks will move toward other ecosystems (e.g. Apple).

jjphoto1010
Beginner Level 4
Wearables

I came looking for this since I have a similar situation. I have sleep apnea but can't use a cpap because of air escaping to my stomach. I can't get an Inspire device until I lose ten pounds. So I'm hoping something like this might save my life!

Coolpea9
Beginner Level 3
Wearables

Can we implement this? It is literally 3 lines of code and it can save lives. Come on Samsung, you do care for people's lives dont you?