Original topic:

"International" version of watch 4 in Australia?

(Topic created on: 07-13-2022 02:01 PM)
EdBarra
Active Level 1
Options
Wearables

I recently bought a watch 4 classic Bluetooth 42mm from Kogan.

Turns out it is is an "international version".

When I begin the set up process, the only regions listed are South American ones.

Is this going to be an issue to use with my Australian samsung s21?

What other issues will crop up because of this?

Should I just try to return it?

14 Comments
SamsungLaura
Options
Wearables

Hey there, with international versions, you may experience compatibility issues where certain features are not available in one region. 

Some users on the Community have raised are that the Blood Pressure and ECG sensors are not available in select countries. 

EdBarra
Active Level 1
Wearables
Is there anything I can do to fix this besides buying a new watch?
0 Likes
Wearables
If you've opened it, then give it a whirl and see how it goes.
Definately check where you stand with returns, especially if they were not clear with it being a grey import.

Regarding your question, the official answer would be no, unfortunately.

The unofficial answer would be, there's possibilities but you risk bricking the watch and making it an expensive paper weight.
EdBarra
Active Level 1
Wearables
Thanks. I've been playing around with it, and as far as I can tell, everything seems fine.
Only time will tell at this stage!
Wearables
Did you get the health stuff @SamsungLaura noted working?

And how did you go setting up Samsung Pay?
EdBarra
Active Level 1
Wearables
I haven't set up Samsung pay or google pay yet. Will do it tomorrow and will let you know.
I've tested the health functions like heart rate etc and they all worked on the watch.
Haven't downloaded the Health app to my phone yet. Still deciding if the info on the watch is enough or not (as I track my meals & nutrition via MyFitnessPal).

After a bit of searching around Reddit and the web in general I found a thread where someone else (but in the NZ) had the same issue.
On that thread someone said they had chosen Jamaica as the country and everything seemed to work for them.
So I did that, and hopefully they were right!

I've been fairly busy with work this afternoon/evening so I haven't managed to explore much, but over the next few days I'll continue to update this thread as a reference for anyone else who buys a grey market import from Kogan or Amazon etc.
Wearables
Thanks for sharing your experience with this.
Unfortunately there's been a couple of people over the last year who unknowingly bought a grey import product thinking it was Australian.

With my earlier comment of unofficial options, I was thinking in terms of messing with firmware. 😁

So, at least if others that get caught out, they may have options 👍
EdBarra
Active Level 1
Wearables
Yeah, googling about finds a few links to fiddle with the firmware.
I think I'd have to have exhausted all other options before trying that.
Pretty good chance I'd brick the watch!
EdBarra
Active Level 1
Wearables
After further playing around, everything seems fine. Besides smasung pay (which I haven't set up anyway) all functions seem there and working well.
Integration with the health app etc all seems good. BP, ECG etc all seem to be available and working.