Original topic:

S9+ display turning yellow and overheats

(Topic created on: 04-09-2020 12:59 PM)
Vernon30
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
My S9+ phone display turns yellow at random and the phone tends to get hot quite frequently. Seems to have started after the Android 10 software update in early March.
23 Comments
Madabam
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Same here

0 Likes
pdlr
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Same as my Note9. It seems a known issue with all AMOLED displays of higher end Galaxy Series mobile phones. It's not due to software updates or application interference. It's all hardware issue.

Overtime, due to excessive usage, or long exposure to heat, Samsung's AMOLED components degrades and returns that yellowish display. Eventually, the display will black out and dies, and you're out of warranty.

And repair costs almost 50% to 100% of the value of your phone in the 2nd hand market.

So, say your thanks to Samsung!

Beeach
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I don’t think this last comment is correct. How is the screen degrading if it is fine most of the time but just all of a sudden turns yellow when the phone gets hot (e.g. in the sun, or usage). When I bought this phone, I thought the amoled screen would gradually get worse and then I would replace it. I don’t see what I would call “degradation”. It is fine most of the time, unless it is overheating. That must be something else. 

0 Likes
DanielCarmo
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

Unfortunately I think the previous post may be the most accurate of all. At least it's exactly what's happening to my S9+. When I turn on the screen everything it's ok. If I shutdown and turn it on just back on, it turns yellow. Sometimes when it gets hot it gets yellow in the very first time I turn it on. Another thing happening it's the screen adaptive brightness that makes the screen black (with just a few spots of brightness on top) when it automatically sets the brightness of screen in medium values. The only thing that solves this is turning of the adaptive brightness so that on minimum or maximum setting the screen becomes visible again. It's a shame this problem on a cellphone that had a price of 800€ (titanium version 256GB) when I bought it 4 years ago and it is (still) a perfect phone (with no damages or scratches). I don't see any reason to upgrade to a S23+ besides this very annoying issue with the screen. :'(

0 Likes