Original topic:

Gmail still does not have a proper dark mode for web

(Topic created on: 03-23-2021 07:16 AM)
khtannnnnnnnnn
Expert Level 5
Options
Others
With Google digging its heels in and heavily promoting Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) in place of traditional Google Play apps, I’ve come to realize something rather frustrating – the Gmail web application doesn’t have a proper dark theme! In fact, almost none of Google’s software does, but with something as frequently utilized by so many people and so important to productivity as its email client, it strikes me as odd that the company has yet to implement this. I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to open my email in the morning and be blinded by the light of a forced light theme when the rest of my devices and many of my web apps use a dark theme.

To clarify, I’m completely aware of the themes section of the Gmail settings and the Terminal dark theme therein, but it’s a band-aid solution to a much larger issue. I’m not saying it doesn’t look nice and help my eyes, but there are two problems. First, I hate that ugly terminal caret and underscore that blinks at the top left – super distracting, and second, with Chromebooks getting an official dark theme toggle to match that which mobile phones have had for quite some time now, and with websites like Youtube and Milanote respecting your device’s theme and intelligently applying their own to match it, I guess it just bothers me that a company as large as Google, who’s very much in control of how its services are experienced, has seemingly yet to think about something I think about many times per day.
1 Comment
MangoTango
Expert Level 3
Others
👍🏼
0 Likes