Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Expert RAW: Ultra-long Exposure Photography

(Topic created on: 08-29-2023 08:19 AM)
Tolitz24
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy Gallery
Do you ever look at those images with streaky skies and silky smooth water that are so dreamy and ethereal and wonder how they’ve been taken? These are usually done using a professional camera with Bulb mode in order to shoot ultra long exposures of more than 30 seconds. 

Unfortunately, Samsung's Pro mode and Expert RAW doesn't go beyond 30-second exposure, but fret not, you can still definitely do this with your S22U and S23U phones, i.e. by utilizing your Expert RAW app's Multiple Exposure feature! Samsung's multiple exposure feature is usually marketed as a way to superimpose at least two images to create artistic double exposure images. So how can this be applied for ultra long exposure photography? The trick here is to use the multiple exposure feature to shoot up to 9 30-second exposure images and using "Add" or "Average" as overlay to blend the images, for a total of up to 270-second exposure. 

Below are two sample shot (enhanced and color-graded using Lightroom Mobile) using my S23 Ultra and ND1000 Freewell filter. Unfortunately, the shots are not sharp due to strong wind even though I'm using a tripod. Haha. Will definitely try again when the wind is not that punishing. 

ISO: Auto
Shutter Speed: 30 seconds average (270 seconds total for 9 exposure)
EV: -1.0
Focus: 0.7

ISO: Auto
Shutter Speed: 30 seconds average (150 seconds total for 5 exposure)
EV: -1.0
Focus: 0.7

4 Comments
TeamGalaxyDD
Options
Galaxy Gallery

That's a really cool trick! Thanks for sharing this - I'll do this on my next trip 📸

TeamGalaxyBianx
Options
Galaxy Gallery

We appreciate the quick lesson, Tolitz24! Thanks so much for sharing this and these are really nice photos. 😍

0 Likes
cameogt
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Gallery
Is this applicable to capture fireworks as well?
0 Likes
Tolitz24
Active Level 4
Galaxy Gallery
Yes, I think so, but you would be better off with a single exposure of at least 5 seconds.
0 Likes