Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Horrible Note20 Ultra Camera (Macro)

(Topic created on: 10-07-2020 03:25 AM)
vispoceae
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note

Note20 Ultra is a powerful phone. However, research (Ehem, Google) shows that the Note20 Ultra has no dedicated macro camera, leading to poor quality and unusable close-up shots.

Can software update fix this? What a shame.

6 Comments
Galaxy Note
The moth on the tree was taken with the macro setting with 5x zoom. The rest in Pro mode manual focus. Critical focus is a challenge with the f/1.8 opening and current manual focus implementation. It takes time but I'm getting there. The last moth photo is smaller than my pinky finger nail.
vispoceae
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
it is a challenge! my samsung s8 takes better macro photos than note20 ultra. :(

Photo 1 was taken with no additional effort and no addifional setting. Photo 2 was taken using 2x zoom but I need to go away from the subject so that I can have a better focus.

I wonder why they ditched the dedicated macro lens.
Galaxy Note
Perhaps the current cam compliment does more all around than just close-up. The 7 series was one of the best. I didn't get the 8 series but I had the 9 series. I hope an update provides better critical focus assist. Like a magnified view.
vispoceae
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
i hope so too
waaa5
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
Macro lens is actually quite useless since it has considerably worse specs. The reason why the Note20 Ultra cant do very close shots unlike the s7 s8 s10 phones is because of the larger sensor size. There is a toggle when you put your phone near an abject to zoom in 2x and move your phone back to take clearer shots.

However, you will have a better natural bokeh with a bigger sensor making your photos have a good background blur like a DSLR. A larger sensor means it can take better night photos as well.
vispoceae
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
yes but it depends on the kind of photos a user is taking. i take a lot of close-up photos.

i tried zooming in 2x and then moving away to take clearer photos and yeah, that worked.
0 Likes