Original topic:

Mastering Outdoor Low Key Photography Using Samsung

(Topic created on: 07-15-2024 04:28 PM)
VueeyLe
Options
Galaxy Gallery
Hello Samsung Members!

I'm Vueey Le, one of Samsung Members' Stars Ambassadors in Australia, and today I’m excited to guide you through the captivating art of low key photography with animals. Utilising the power of the Samsung S22 Ultra, we can achieve professional-quality photos that rival those taken with traditional DSLR cameras.

Captured with Samsung S22 Ultra (ISO 100, SS 1/8000, Focus Tracking On)Captured with Samsung S22 Ultra (ISO 100, SS 1/8000, Focus Tracking On)

Device and Mode Selection

For this tutorial, I used the Samsung S22 Ultra, but any Samsung mobile device with Pro Mode and Expert RAW will work perfectly. Here’s how to set it up:

1. Open the Camera App.
  2. Go to More.
  3. Select Pro Mode or Expert RAW.
I recommend usingExpert RAW because it saves data with a higher dynamic range compared to Pro Mode. This means better image quality and more flexibility when editing your photos.

Recommended Settings

• ISO: 100-400 (for the best image quality)
  • Shutter Speed: 1/500-1/8000 depending on the available light
  • Lens: 3x, 5x, or 10x Optical Zoom only (to maintain image quality)
  • Lighting: Position your subject side on with the sun or light source for the most dramatic effect, "lighting" parts of the face or body.
Example Settings on S22 UltraExample Settings on S22 Ultra

Choosing Your Subject and Composition

Look for High Contrast Subjects

For low key photography, subjects with stark contrasts work best. I chose a pelican for this shoot due to its striking black and white contrast, which creates a stunning visual effect.

Find the Right Background

A dark background is essential for low key photography. Position yourself in a spot where you can capture your subject against a shadowy or dark backdrop. I prefer photographing pelicans side-on to capture the depth and character in their body position.

DSC06883.jpg
Example when using the same technique with people as a subject. Dark foreground with a touch of bright light in the trees.

Capture the Moment

Take multiple shots in RAW (DNG) format to capture as much detail as possible. JPEGs compress images heavily and apply preset edits, but capturing in RAW gives you full control over the editing process.

Post-Processing with Adobe Lightroom Mobile

1. Import the Photo: Open your image in Adobe Lightroom Mobile.

2. Mask the Subject:

• Use the Mask tool and select Subject Detect. This leverages the neural engine on your Samsung device (AI) to detect your subject.
    • Invert the selection to focus on the background.
  3. Adjust the Background:

• Decrease Exposure and Shadows to add dramatic contrast and darken the background.
    • Use the Brush tool to refine the selection and ensure no parts are missed by the AI.
450305818_1005387207731872_8165046643084179497_n.jpg449810771_1863969090790649_4613683787780869527_n.jpg

The Final Touch

With these steps, you’ll have a striking low key photograph. This technique is popular for portraits and abstract photography due to its dramatic and contrasty look. Traditionally, achieving this kind of shot required a long 200-300mm lens and a large camera, but with the S Ultra series, capturing such photos is simple and convenient.

449148641_308709422232312_5662755370686566700_n.jpg

32 Comments
BAAMM
Active Level 8
Galaxy Gallery
Wow thats amazing! Thank you for sharing the step by step guide!
Galaxy Gallery

You are welcome~! I look forward to sharing more on here soon!

Galaxy Gallery
Yes to Masking!!! Will try this soon. Thank you for sharing. 🫡🫡🫡
Galaxy Gallery

*** yeah! Masking work wonders!
I look forward to sharing more in the future!

Galaxy Gallery
🤯1721025743319.gif
Galaxy Gallery

🙏🙏🙏🙏

Galaxy Gallery
Amazing post! Thank you 😊
Galaxy Gallery

Thank you, I hope you enjoyed it and learnt something new! 

Galaxy Gallery
Thanks for the tips 😀 😊