Original topic:

smartswitch keeps crashing prior to retore windows 10

(Topic created on: 05-10-2022 04:30 PM)
Members_5zggcIE
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy Note

I had top repair my phone so backed up to smartswitch.

i restored contacts to a different phone last week and that went ok.

this week i have just tried to connect my note20 ultra 5g and restore everything and when i click restore on the pc end 

the app crashes and just switches off and im unable to restore. i'm freaking out. 3 years worth of pics and data there.

please help .. if i delete and reinstall the app on the pc i'll lose my data wont I ?

0 Likes
9 Comments
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
First, iI am not particularly skilled so some of this is may not be accurate. Second, f your backup is on Windows note the folder, file names and make a copy. Third, using your phone check if you have been using Samsung or Google accounts to make backups that way. On phone go to settings and search for backup which includes restore. Google backup is better as Samsung has reduced what is covered in a backup. Third, read up on Wifi Direct between computer (if it has wi-fi) and your phone. Google "windows wi-fi direct to android phone" and also the same phrase, I think you can use the restore feature on your phone instead of Smart Switch, I hope. Google ba kup featuredoesn t backup contacts I think, but if you have these already then that side is covered. I haven't done restore this way so you will have to do your own research. After all this is over review Samsung and Google backup processes in the settings on your phone. Then review your contacts and, assuming you have a gmail account explore syncing your contacts using your gmail as the primary email account for syncing. This is because your phone, unless you have set a default, saves contacts on your phone, your sim card and, if using gmail there as well. The reason for this is that if you ever log into gmail on the web you will have all your contacts available via the web.
0 Likes
Members_5zggcIE
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

years of pictures , and notes and messages .. i really would like them all back. 

I know I will use multiple pc's to back up next time - doesnt help me just now

0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi there, yes don't delete and reinstall the app as you will lose the backup. 

In order for me to escalate this, please send through an email with the following table so that I may arrange for troubleshooting with our Level 2 Support team. 

To: members.au@samsung.com

Subject: SamsungLaura - Smart Switch crashing on Desktop

Detail: 

Name

Email

Contact Number

Preferred Call Back Time

State

Model

N/A

Serial Number

N/A

Product Issue

Smart Switch crashing on PC while trying to restore back up

Trouble Shooting

N/A

0 Likes
Members_5zggcIE
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

hi Laura , thanks for your reply _  I've sent through an email just now

0 Likes
louana
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

I am facing exactly the same issue described.. Now, when I try to restore my new device, the software crashes on the desktop. I updated Smart Switch some hours earlier, just before backing up from my -now fully- damaged older device.

Any fixes?

0 Likes
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
I don't yet regard you ptoblem as a lost cause. We don't know whether the app is corrupted, the data is corrupted, or another reason. We don't know whether it is possible to download to another device, we don 't know whether you can restore from other backup software (unlikely as Smart Switch probably runs on its own code but worth trying). To look at other options try various Google phrases, start with "samsung smart switch corrupted" - this comes up with other links different from the cottuption issue. IMPORTANT In a previous job I encountered a range of different backup problemx and I learnt that it was critical to backup what was available and always keep an unaltered copy so you could make further copies to test different scenarios. Otherwise one of your tests will further corrupt what you have making recovery impossible.There are more answers on Google than will ever appear here.
0 Likes
Members_5zggcIE
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

it would have to be smartswitch , the files are there as i can see the 80gb for a moment but just as the restore key lights up to be clicked and do the restore , the app shuts down.

0 Likes
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
Remembering when I said to make copies, here is a guide to where files are stored

"Where are Samsung Smart Switch files stored?

Here are the default locations, so you'll know where everything is stored: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Samsung\Smart Switch PC. Windows 10: C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Samsung\SmartSwitch.

https://www.samsung.com › answer

Use Smart Switch to transfer content with your PC or Mac - Samsung

MORE RESULTS

How do I view files on Smart Switch?

Open Smart Switch on your PC or Mac. Select MORE, and then select Preferences. File location will display below Backup folder location. Find your backup files manually.28 Feb 2019

https://krispitech.com › how-to-locat...

How To Locate Smart Switch Backup Files on PC or Mac - KrispiTech"
0 Likes
Members_5zggcIE
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Update : \

I never did find a fix for this issue.

that said it has righted itself with this latest update that came today.

after being asked if i'd like to up date smartswitch i agreed, installed the update and tried to 

restore once more time and success. I'm finally back off the s8 and back to the note ultra .

i will miss the s8 as its the perfect size and always loved that phone . if it wasnt for the upgrade cameras and storage I'd stay with my old s8.

anyway super glad to have everything back after all this time thinking it was lost.

0 Likes