Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Need location on to switch to known wifi

(Topic created on: 06-26-2021 10:33 AM)
Josh123223
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy Series
Why has this changed during an update? It used to swap over automatically when it came within range of wifi. Now for this to happen you have to have location on? Terrible update! I hate having location on.. its caused me.to smash through 40gig of saved rollover data in the last few months
0 Likes
5 Comments
Invonik
Active Level 4
Galaxy Series
Hi there,

Are you getting the "Turn on Wi-Fi automatically" function on or off?
For my phone, just keep the WiFi on all the time and it will always connect to whatever the WiFi I connected before. However, once the above function was on, it will switch off my Wi-Fi unless I hit certain location... Screenshot_20210628-101139_Settings.png
Josh123223
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Series
Thanks for the reply, I have the option turned on but I have wifi turned off when I'm out and about save battery. When ever I came into range of a familiar network the wifi would automatically connect, thus saving data. Now for this to happen I have location on.

I've had the s3, s5, s7, s10, which all used to connect to wifi automatically fine without location. My s20 used to and now it doesn't. Just wondering why they changed it.. seems pointless to me!
0 Likes
Invonik
Active Level 4
Galaxy Series
Just wondering, for your old phones, in order to achieve the automatically wifi on/off, do you need keep the location on?
0 Likes
Josh123223
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Series
Sold those long ago
0 Likes
Invonik
Active Level 4
Galaxy Series
To my understanding, the new software update gives more control to permissions comparing with the previous version.
It might need you to authorize location permission again for the function.
I have used S20 before, but didn't notice the change as I always let WiFi on.
BTW, I am using Bixby Routines to set quite a lot of automations to save battery, switch on/off location and all the other functions.
For example, once my phone disconnected from home wifi, location on, sound mode change, notification change, battery save mode... It works great👍
0 Likes