Original topic:

Is TV worth repairing - broken screen QA65Q8FNAWXXY

(Topic created on: 03-06-2024 01:08 PM)
brendaLx4
Beginner Level 4
Options
TV & Audio

Hello,
I bumped the corner of our TV with the edge of a coffee table. The screen went black and now has a star shaped  'crack' on the bottom lhs (it's actually an internal 'crack' not the outside screen.
I just checked and the TV is 6 years old, our insurance (which we've had for over 30 years!) does not cover accidental damage...
So I am wondering if it's worth trying to get the TV repaired or just get a new TV.  According to the Samsung website it's around $1000 to replace a 65inch screen - is that what it would need? Doesn't seem worth repairing though a shame to just chuck it into landfill.
Thanks Brenda

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
robmulally
Active Level 3
TV & Audio
Brenda, that ***! I don't know what peripherals if any you plug into the TV I helped a couple in Sydney recently change TV and they replaced a few boxes with apps now the TV before wasnt "smart" Web connected. So always a tricky one to advise but based on age of TV and what's easy for you to use the chance of a repair adding more issues and stress means my advice would be go for a new TV , amazing tv at 2k price point. Just triple check the new one can do what you need. Worth looking in store and clicking though the menus etc cheap TV's might look ok but be a pain to use. You might be shocked at how much picture changed and menus in 6 years. Most recycle centres have a section for TV's and depending how badly damaged someone who repairs for fun might buy off market place for parts I'm not sure.

View solution in context

2 Comments
Solution
robmulally
Active Level 3
TV & Audio
Brenda, that ***! I don't know what peripherals if any you plug into the TV I helped a couple in Sydney recently change TV and they replaced a few boxes with apps now the TV before wasnt "smart" Web connected. So always a tricky one to advise but based on age of TV and what's easy for you to use the chance of a repair adding more issues and stress means my advice would be go for a new TV , amazing tv at 2k price point. Just triple check the new one can do what you need. Worth looking in store and clicking though the menus etc cheap TV's might look ok but be a pain to use. You might be shocked at how much picture changed and menus in 6 years. Most recycle centres have a section for TV's and depending how badly damaged someone who repairs for fun might buy off market place for parts I'm not sure.
brendaLx4
Beginner Level 4
TV & Audio

Thanks for reply @robmulally 😁, yes I think a new TV (& new insurance company!) is the way to go.  It's been an expensive lesson !

0 Likes