Original topic:

Burning hot and battery drain

(Topic created on: 10-17-2022 02:41 PM)
KittyKelly
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
I've had my s22 Ultra for probably a month and a half now and it's getting extremely hot (almost too hot to put to your cheek), and battery drain  is a severe issue also.

I've noticed that it does this regardless of what I'm actually doing on the phone. Like, you can take it off a full charge and just sit there browsing the web and watch the battery trickle away...

This shouldn't be happening to a brand new phone, and all Samsung did was make me change my 5G over to 4G and turn on airplane mode!

17 Comments
Galaxy S

Go to Settings > Battery and device care > Battery.

Can you see any apps that might cause your severe battery drain?

Explore the Device Care section, you might see which apps causing also high CPU usage (if there's any).

KittyKelly
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Hey there thanks so much, no nothing sticks out at all to me, all standard stuff really.
Galaxy S

You can search here in the forum what might cause battery drain, like weak network signal etc.

Also some best practices on how to save battery like putting apps on sleep, lowering brightness etc.

But on more technical side, you can also check check the following;

1. Run you phone in safe mode https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-300715/ , use it for a while and see if you still having battery and heating problems. If no, then you might have a rogue app running before.

2. Do you have Paypal installed on your phone? There are some reports that some users are affected by Paypal running high on background on their phone. Even after you uninstall, "com.paypal.android.p2pmobile" still eats a lot of cpu. The only resolution here is to try install/uninstall the Paypal app multiple times to try to totally remove that package. Worst case is you need to reformat.

Those are the only things I can think of for now. You can use the search here, for sure there's a lot of same cases that were posted here before.

Galaxy S
@KittyKelly have you sent an error log or did you call/get in store help?

If you haven't already tried, can I suggest sending an error report via the Samsung Members app.

To do this:

Samsung Members app > Support> Error reports > Application > Describe issue and frequency > Tick ‘Send system log data’ > ‘Send’ in top right.

Your other option would be to do a factory reset and try doing a clean set-up.
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy S

Hi @KittyKelly, definitely suggest sending through an error report the next time this occurs for our team to look into! 

Palah
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
My S22 Ultra has been overheating to point getting fair trading to get refund.. Took to Samsung Parramatta 19th after near meltdown 3 times (provided screen shots) used other phones (carry spare phone in case S22 turns into too hot to work) so can finish work day with no problems .. Parramatta sent back same day saying using non Samsung charging cables can cause overheating .. **bleep**.. Only using Samsung cable in car = a rubbish excuse which says they have no clue or try to bluff. But once again today S22 Ultra started overheating again (shutting down apps etc & becoming unresponsive) took off Samsung case and had on lap and let cool down so could continue Android atuo directions to venue. Will be last Samsung and would get rid of except for S pen.. Not sure how could have open 27 apps as lucky to use 5 in a day Screenshot_20221028-112142_Microsoft Launcher.jpg
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy S

Hi @Palah, thanks for reaching out. I suggest sending an error report within 2-3 minutes of the issue occurring for this to be investigated by our research and development team. Error reports assist with identifying any deviations in your device performance. Once analysed, our team will get back to you with a response to advise further steps.

To send an error report:
Samsung Members app > Get help > Error reports > select issue category > Describe issue and frequency > Tick ‘Send system log data’ > ‘Send’ in top right.

Palah
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
Thanks but why would Samsung repairs blame the usb cable when one using is Samsung.. Waste of time.. Phone has updated to UI 5 and Android 13 so hopefully fixes (started having issues day after previous update beginning September) will do as suggested and send log if happens again (once cools down) but the way device is handling apps. lucky if use 5 apps on normal day = not sure how reported 27 last overheat
0 Likes
Palah
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
Well happened again today overheating.. Only using for two hours driving. Thought had identified issue (on wireless & usb Android auto) so been using with just usb (which is slow charge) since doing phone felt hot at times but not to point of not fit for purpose... Until today . S22 Ultra is worst phone ever used as far as reliability. Screenshot_20221228_141237_Microsoft Launcher.jpgScreenshot_20221228_141309_Microsoft Launcher.jpg
0 Likes