Original topic:

S21 Ultra Google Assistant not working properly

(Topic created on: 07-10-2022 09:43 AM)
Noxxie
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Hi,

I've turned on Google Assistant voice activation. When I say "Hey Google", the green 'microphone access' dot appears in the top right corner to let me know an app is using my microphone (Google Assistant). Nothing happens after this. I say a command or question and do not get a reply nor do I get any pop ups from the Assistant. This used to work but I can't figure out why it isn't working anymore :(

Can anyone help? Much appreciated.

Cheers.
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Noxxie
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Finally figured it out.
In the 'Google' app permissions, I had to give access to 'Phone'. Not sure why it was turned off, but also I would have thought that it was just the phone calling option. Either way, having this 'Phone' access denied actually unabled the assistant from popping up or working at all when saying "Hey Google".

More than 8 months and I've finally got it to work. You're welcome (if this helped you too haha).

View solution in context

10 Comments
Galaxy S
Can you reset the google assistant and re-do the settings?

Go settings, then find the app and clear data
Noxxie
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Can't find any setting to clear data for the app.
0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy S

Hey @Noxxie, that's odd. Could you go through the below steps and let me now if they're enabled.

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/9795643?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid 

0 Likes
Noxxie
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Have tried all of that. Does not work.
I even uninstalled google and the assistant app and still does the same thing.

I can still bring up google assistant manually but voice activation doesn't work.

Also to note, I do have a Google Nest which works fine with voice activation.
0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy S

Hi @Noxxie, thanks for clarifying. In that case I suggest sending an error report within 2-3 minutes of the issue occurring for this to be investigated by our research and development team. Error reports assist with identifying any deviations in your device performance. Once analysed, our team will get back to you with a response to advise further steps.

To send an error report:
Samsung Members app > Get help > Error reports > select issue category > Describe issue and frequency > Tick ‘Send system log data’ > ‘Send’ in top right.

0 Likes
Members_20Pt67q
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Why does Google assistant not work on my Samsung S21 Ultra 5g it use to until I did an update in February and from then on it does not work and sais on my telephone The google Assistant is not supported on this device. I use this in my car so I am hands free when I connect my telphone to my car and it is frustrating since it does not work as I can't be hands free. I could just say Google call Joe Black and it did or take me to Jamestown and the map would come up. Can this be rectified or do I have to go to and sell my samsung and buy an  apple mobile.

0 Likes
Noxxie
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Double check in app settings that 'Google' is still enabled.

On the other hand, hands free google assistant still doesn't work for me but I gave up.
0 Likes
SamsungClaudette
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S

Hey @Members_20Pt67q

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. Could you please refer to @Noxxie comment as she has figured out what the issue was. Please let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,
SamsungClaudette

0 Likes
Solution
Noxxie
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Finally figured it out.
In the 'Google' app permissions, I had to give access to 'Phone'. Not sure why it was turned off, but also I would have thought that it was just the phone calling option. Either way, having this 'Phone' access denied actually unabled the assistant from popping up or working at all when saying "Hey Google".

More than 8 months and I've finally got it to work. You're welcome (if this helped you too haha).