Original topic:

Transferring app data and logins

(Topic created on: 12-09-2021 04:52 PM)
ZainTheReal
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Smart Switch
Hello I was wondering since my mum got a new phone and she wants to get all her data like logins and history and stuff from her old phone (Samsung A20) to her new phone (Samsung s21 5g). How to do? We tried using Samsung smart switch and it transferred the apps and photod but my mum is not logged in to any of the apps and all her past data is not there.
4 Comments
Dasren
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Smart Switch
For passwords, you need to login Samsung pass first on the new phone, then it'll sync logins automatically. But for some in-app data, it seems samsung switch doesn't transfer it, if you may need find another way to do it.

I tried samsung switch few times, most in-app data didn't not transfer to my new phone.🤷‍♂️
ZainTheReal
Active Level 1
Samsung Smart Switch
Thank I'll ask my mum to set up
SamsungLaura
Options
Samsung Smart Switch

Hi @ZainTheRe, Smart Switch does not transfer over passwords and logins for security reasons. The data is typically protected and encrypted by the app developer to prevent scenarios where, if a user's phone is stolen, the bank account, social accounts, or other personal information is transferred over to another device. 

In this situation, she may need to do password resets, login resets, find her usernames, or see if she had these details saved elsewhere (e.g Google Chrome has a function to save usernames and passwords). You could also go through the apps on her old phone and see if the account information is available if she is still logged in. 

As for why app data has not been transferred over, it is likely encrypted and may require a backup on the old device and be restored on the new device (both devices should be logged into the same account).

From the top of my head, some common apps that require a backup and sync when switching devices are WhatsApp, Viber, and WeChat. Additionally, some game data can also be stored in a cloud, or game account. 

fraff
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Smart Switch

What is the point of having a copy tool that does not copy ?

App data are protected by phone security, if not, there is a problem there, so people who have the password of the phone should be able to copy ALL data from one phone to an other.

Copy photos and videos is easy, but coping hundreds of login and complex configuration is a pain. I'll send back the samsung phone to my boss and ask for an other brand with a working clone tool.