Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Setup S21

(Topic created on: 09-22-2021 10:22 AM)
MontyBear
Active Level 1
Options
Tips & Tricks

Hello, I just bought a S21.  It was flat so I am charging it before I try to setup.

Do I need a Google account?  I have never had one before. Don't want one if not absolutely required.

I assume I can get Apps from the Galaxy Store so I just setup a Samsung Account and a Galaxy Store Account.

Also, how do I transfer contacts, notes and pics from an iPhone?  The Samsung cable does not fit into my iPhone.

Thanks,

Monty

9 Comments
Tips & Tricks
You can use Samsung smart switch to transfer data between iPhone and Samsung. Install the app on both the devices
0 Likes
Rara22
Active Level 4
Tips & Tricks
Smart Switch is definitely the easiest way
0 Likes
MontyBear
Active Level 1
Tips & Tricks

Thanks for the suggestions but my iPhone is chock full, cannot install any other Apps or system files.  That is partly why I bought a new phone, also to get away from the "control freak" world of Apple.  I have found a cable online which will connect both phones so hope that works otherwise will just re enter my contacts manually as I have them saved in a spreadsheet.

Monty

0 Likes
MontyBear
Active Level 1
Tips & Tricks

Do I really need a Google Account?

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungLaura
Options
Tips & Tricks

Hi @MontyBear,  you can skip adding a Google Account for the setup of your device, however you will need one to access the Google Play Store. Alternatively, you could use the Galaxy Store. 

Below is a guide on how to Smart Switch your iOS data into your new Galaxy device: 

https://www.samsung.com/au/apps/smartswitch/getstarted/iOS/cable-transfer/ 

0 Likes
MontyBear
Active Level 1
Tips & Tricks

Thanks SamsungLaura,  I eventually had to signup for a google account.  Now I have a gmail email which I cant even remember what it is let alone what password I made up for it.

I do not have a transfer cable yet si i have been manually adding my contacts from a spreadsheet.  Have added about 150 of 200 so far.  It is a good way to sift out those that I do not want.

Now to find where docs go, somewhere there is a Downloads folder apparently.  Have to find it.

Monty

0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
Tips & Tricks

Hi @MontyBear, thanks for the update. I highly recommend noting down your Google account as it may be useful for the future.

To check your account: 

Settings > Accounts and backup > Accounts > Check which Gmail is listed on your device. 

As for the password, it would be best to reset it and note down the password somewhere. The reason I suggest this is that, if you make in-app purchases,  Playstore purchases, or game progress, this will be linked to your Google account. 

0 Likes
MontyBear
Active Level 1
Tips & Tricks

Can't find Documents folder.  Is there a search function on S21?

I downloaded my vaccination certificate, the phone said it went into my Downloads folder but I can't find it.

What if I was at the Airport or  some other place where I had to show my vax certificate?

Monty 

0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
Tips & Tricks

Hi @MontyBear, the downloads folder is inside the 'My Files' app. 

0 Likes