Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Is it safe to charge overnight?

(Topic created on: 07-06-2020 11:09 PM)
ArvylleIan
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy A
I have overcharged my phone overnight. Is it safe? What will happen to my battery? I have a Galaxy A31.
8 Comments
Solution
Reesch
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
It's not really advisable to anybody who owned a smartphone to overcharged their phone especially overnight. According to what I have read in the internet as I was very curious about it, it says, it is not really good to overcharge your phone overnight because it could lower the life span of your battery. Galaxy A31 is built with fast charging tech so charge it when you have enough time in the morning instead or set an alarm whenever you want to fully charged it in the evening. 😊
Galaxy A
oh hello ,its safe to charge it overnight if someone takes the charger off during 80 percent beacuse overcharging is not good for your battery,but you still need to charge your battery to 100 once a year , this reason is caused by the Li-On batteryies ,

But if you use a old phone its better to charge it overnight

KentTumanda
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
It is safe to charge overnight but it lowers the lifespan of the battery and causing a high tension of its battery life. It is not recommended. If you notice reduced battery performance and battery swelling, You might go to samsung service center to replace.
ArvylleIan
Active Level 1
Galaxy A
What if it only happened twice that I left it charging overnight? Will it have an effect on overall performance?
KentTumanda
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
It is. Depend on its battery and performance of the battery. If you turned off your phone and it charged at 100%. It appears "⚠️" and unplug it. If you happened twice left it overnight, You might having effect of its performance.
KentTumanda
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
To avoid left charging overnight, Check your battery usage by go to Settings > Device Care > Battery > Battery Usage. White color means battery use and blue color means charging. I recommend you to look if its full. Wait until "Fully charged" appears when the screen is off. Enable Show Charging information at Settings > Display > and click "Show charging information".
jmdatoon
Active Level 4
Galaxy A
Overcharging is a myth now a days, smartphones are smart enough to stop taking a charge once reached its full. The problems occur when the battery overheats, which can cause damage.
Kenobijim
Active Level 4
Galaxy A
Phones are really smart now. When you have fast charging enabled, charging speed is decreased at certain temperature to avoid damaging the battery. When your phone reaches 100%, your phone cuts the power to prevent overcharging your battery.
I believe the main issue now is when your phone gets to 100% it stops charging, but when it drops to 99% during the night, it goes charging again. And it goes back and forth to 99% and 100% and I believe this can damage your battery.
But I noticed that my current Galaxy phone (S20+) intelligently learns my wake up patterns and doesn't full charge my phone until it's near the time that I wake up. So, I'm confident that I can charge my phone at night and wake up fully charged.
0 Likes