Original topic:

Group message replies don't appear in group thread

(Topic created on: 04-07-2017 07:01 PM)
mikle
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Using the Samsung Messages app, when I send a message to multiple recipients, the replies don't come back to the group thread, they go back to each person's separate thread.

But when I switch to Google Messages, everything works fine. Messages come back to the group.

Is there any way to fix this as I'd rather use the Samsung app.09d60cac-f174-43ab-8dc5-918ad4cd9c1b.jpg
5 Comments
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I found out that other people have a 'Group messages' setting in their Messages app, but I don't!

When I go to Settings > More settings > Multimedia messages, there is NO 'Group messages' option!

Is anyone at Samsung reading this? Why is there no Group messaging setting? I have version 4.0.75 of the app. PLS tell me how to get the Group messages setting to appear.
0 Likes
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
You can see that there is no Group Message option
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy S
Hey @mikle, who's your carrier?
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy S
Hey @mikle, you won't see the "group messaging" option at all depending on your carrier.

I could not get group messaging running on my test setup as well. MMS group messaging is very difficult to set up and use mainly because MMS is a very old technology that hasn't been updated for a long time. RCS (Rich Communication Services) is being rolled out to some carriers (Rogers/Fido are the first in Canada), and after testing that, the messages come through correctly to the group instead of to the individual contacts.

For now while RCS isn't very common, it looks like 3rd party messaging services or applications will be the only solution.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue. -Nick
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thanks Nick! I'm with Rogers. I just wonder why group messaging works with Android Messages and also works with Facebook Messenger SMS (Facebook Messenger supports SMS and can be set as your default SMS app).

I wonder why the only SMS app that is unable to do group text messages on my phone is the Samsung app. Everything else does it automatically, with no problem at all.

Why is this so hard for the Samsung app while every other text app does it so easily?
0 Likes