Original topic:

StMartha

(Topic created on: 04-11-2022 05:27 PM)
StMartha
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
I have a new Galaxy s21-5g. 2 questions. #1. I'm trying to install a transparent vweather/date-time' Widget on my home page. It's downloaded. When I press the empty space where I want it to go, it only reveals the icons for Wallpaper and Settings - NOT the little '4 box' icon that brings up Widgets. If I just direct depress the Widget I want & drag it to the window/empty space, it materializes just a small icon which I have to depress to open the app & see the info in it g not the perpetually fully open widget. What am I doing wrong?  #2. I want the little empty Search Engine 'window' on my home page that when I depress it to write in what I'm searching for - that doesn't open up into another window that FULL of Sponsored Advertising & News articles etc with the little empty search window located at the top... I had my old screen set up like I'm looking to do again, so the weather Widget in top 1/3rd, standard empty Search window in middle, selected icons dragged to bottom third. No joy for the reasons stated. 
0 Likes
8 Comments
macer1
Active Level 6
Galaxy S

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but I'm guessing you are not having issues getting the widget on the home screen but the widget that ends up on the screen when you drag and drop.

If you already have that widget on your screen, I think you can resize it to whatever larger size you want.  Tap and hold on the widget and you should see a pop up that offers some options with Resize being one of them.  As for Search engine window, usually Google search doesn't give a whole bunch of ads when you do the search.  If I wanted that search, I would use Google search.  The nice thing about Google search is that you can also speak to it and have it bring up search results.

0 Likes
StMartha
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thank you...Google was the default search engine & it's the only one I'll use. And when it sits on the home screen it looks exactly like I want it to. It's when I put my cursor in it to type my 'whatever' query, it opens into another window that's 90% Promoted Ads - so while I'm trying to type my question I'm trying to ignore all that! When I had that empty Google window on my old phone & put my cursor in it to type my query - it stayed put, I'd type, hit send & the next screen would be responding to my query. This time - NOT! 🥴 Re: Widget. In setting up my new phone I realized it came with a lg variety of Wallpapers & Apps but no Widgets. I browsed Google play, found the widget I wanted for my Samsung s5, downloaded it. Then went to the empty space on my home screen, depressed it waiting for the next window with the widget so I could drag it into the right spot. It showed up where all the other app choices sit, but as an App, not a Widget. So when I dragged it into position on my home screen hoping it would arrive in the right spot, drop it & it would "fully open up". Again, NOT🥴 When I drag & drop it drops as just another Widget, no handles to adjust the size. It's interesting how something - a question or problem that's so clear in my mind, when I write it down & reread it, it's gobbly-**bleep**! I'm surprised you took me on anyhow so thanks so much for your effort! 💐🙏
0 Likes
macer1
Active Level 6
Galaxy S

I don't see any ads when I use the Google search widget on my phone, although I normally don't have the widget but put it on my phone to test what it does.  I only see the suggested search terms and some of the history of searches I recently did. 

I am guessing that you have the option to have "Ad personalization" ON in your Google settings which is where all these ads are coming from.

You may want to go into your Google account settings and make sure "Ad personalization" is OFF.

Open up your Google app.

Tap on your initials on the top right corner.

Tap on Search History.

Tap on Controls.

Scroll down to Ad personalization.  Turn it to OFF.

Hopefully that will decrease the ads you get.  

I'm not sure if the Google Search widget has changed from the earlier devices to the newer ones or perhaps it got changed with the update in the OS.  I think I recall being able to type in the search bar like you said, but now, even on my older Note 8, it doesn't do that and opens up a page that will fill in my search term.  However, the page is only filled with search terms, and suggestions including previous searches I typed.  No ads as far as I can see.

Also see if turning OFF Personal results in Search does anything.

---

I think I know what you are talking about, those ads.  They're the trending search results.

Also, again, go into your Google app.

Click on your initials on the top right corner.

Settings.

General.

Go to: Autocomplete with trending searches.  DISABLE that by moving the switch to the left so that it's greyed out.

That should get rid of those annoying trending searches that have absolutely nothing to do with what you are looking for.

--

Most widgets usually allow you to resize it to a larger or smaller size to fit the screen however you like it.  For instance, if you have your Google search bar widget on the screen, simply select and hold your finger on it.  There usually should be a pop up with Resize, Remove and Configure available.  The widget has to be already on the screen for this to show up.  If you are simply dropping a widget on your screen, it will default to whatever default size it comes up with.  To resize it to a bigger size, you have to tap and hold and then adjust the size.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.  I'm also a big of a gobbly goop too when I try to explain things.

0 Likes
StMartha
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thanks so much...great things to try...tomorrow...🙏Can't believe I've spent SOOOOO many hours over days still organizing my new phone.... 🙄
0 Likes
Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Thanks macer1 for your detailed steps.

Hi StMartha, Please try the steps given by macer1 and write back to us if you need any further information.

0 Likes
macer1
Active Level 6
Galaxy S

You're very welcome.

It's a lot of fun. I totally enjoy spending hours customizing it and learning new things. I LOVE my new S22 Ultra. The camera is insane and the speaker just blows me away.

StMartha
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I know what you mean. Our gadgets weren't even a gleam in anyone's eye when I was a kid in school. They all developed during my early working/career days (nursing). When my bosses clinic closed I had to find a new job & found computer skills a #1 qualification☹️...went back to school for that computer skills upgrade from literally 0 knowledge to advanced & jobs followed. Then came Cellphones! There's really no "course" to attend for that, it's literally hunt & peck! I've gotten more proficient with those but about every 4-5 yrs I need a new phone as my smartphones are tools for my small business and also support for my schoolwork (finishing a Univ degree started eons ago). So somehow when I start with another new phone, I feel like a novice again! 😢 Therefore I value sites like this & the kind folks who willingly share their experiences with complete strangers! We just don't say that often enough! 🙏😏
0 Likes
macer1
Active Level 6
Galaxy S

I remember when digital personal devices were clunky and with LCD screens and keyboard. Then came Palm and my introduction was with the Palm OS Zire 71 with the pop up camera. Shortly afterwards smartphones started emerging with the Palm Treos and Apple iPhone. Went through different OS from Windows Mobile to Symbian and now Android and iOS. It's a lot to learn but fun. To think of the immense capability of smartphones now compared to its infancy pre-wireless data in only a decade or two is mind boggling.