Original topic:

Wrong max heart rate and HR zones

(Topic created on: 10-29-2021 04:25 PM)
luizcga
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Health

Hi there,

I read that the HR zones in the app are fixed based on the users age and that it uses the formula (220 - age) to set the max heart rate.

I'm from 1978 (43 years old) and so my max heart rate should be (220 - 43 = 177) and my Maximum heart rate zone should be (159 - 177).

But the Samsung health app shows my max heart rate at 189 and all my zones based on that wrong value (my max zone is shown as 171 - 189) ...

I've tried backing up the data, reseting the whatch and then restoring the backup (suggested in another thread) but it still shows the wrong value.

What can I do to correct the issue ?

Best regards.

Luiz.

32 Comments
Valeriya
Options
Samsung Health

Hi luizcga, could you let us know the model number of the device?

0 Likes
luizcga
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

Hi!

Galaxy watch4 Classic - model number SM-R890

I'm using it paired to my Galaxy Z Fold 3.

Reynaud
Options
Samsung Health

Hi luizcga, Heart rate zones is automatically selected on the basis of your information like age, weight and height etc., If the measurement is very different from the expected heart rate, rest for 30 minutes and measure it again.

0 Likes
luizcga
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

Sorry Reynaud, but I don't think that the heart rate zones that appear while I'm exercising are dependent on my current heart rate (resting won't affect the limits).

I say this cause I've used it several times now (and I always start my exercise rested) and the values are the same.

All that I want is to my heart rate zones to match what the app says in the "About heart rate zones" in the (i) information icon that you click in the exercise heart rate zones breakdown. It says that my maximum heart rate is base on the formula 220 - my age (that's 43 and it's correctly set in my profile) - 177.

But the health app (and my watch when I'm exercising insist in showing that my maximum is 189. And consequently all other values are proportionally wrong.

This is a serious issue. If I believe the wrong information being shown and I try to exercise in those rate zones I can injure myself. So I'm not doing it. But I would like to have the correct information being displayed so that I can use the equipment for what it's intended, to guide me during my exercise.

MKA64
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Hi,all I am having similar issue but my watch is showing less than it should be i.e it is showing 121 instead of 141. Samsung is not realizing the seriousness of this issue . I concluded not to go for work out watch from any mobile manufacturer as they just have to launch the package for the sake of launching every single year. I will go only watches only  meant for workouts and not from any mobile manufacturers.

0 Likes
Jrumm39033
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

I am seeing the same problem. The heart rate information used to be accurate, but I noticed today after my walk up the mountain that it is not correct. Based on my age, my maximum heart rate is 149.  Today, after my walk up the mountain, I saw that my heart rate reached 149.  But the Samsung Health App showed that I had no minutes in the maximum range, and no minutes in the anaerobic range. The app shows my maximum heart rate range as 170-188, and the anaerobic range as 151-169. Both of those are over my maximum heart rate of 149, based on my age of 71. The app calculated the maximum heart rate correctly for years. All of a sudden, it is calculating the rate incorrectly, by a wide margin! 

Jrumm39033
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Hi Reynaud,

I don't think you understand the issue that was presented by the Original Poster. I responded back on January 4, 2022, and tried to explain the issue. I have not seen a new response from Samsung since my post, and the Samsung Health App still has the same problem. 

As the Samsung Health App explains, the range of the maximum heart rate, the anaerobic heart rate, the aerobic heart rate, the weight  control heart rate, and the low intensity heart rate are all based on the individual's maximum heart rate, which is calculated by subtracting the individual's age from 220.  According to the Samsung Health App, an individual's maximum heart rate range is 90% to 100% of that individual's maximum heart rate. 

I am 71 years old, so my maximum heart rate is calculated as 220 - 71 = 149.  Therefore, my maximum heart rate range SHOULD be 134 - 149, i.e., 90% to 100% of my maximum heart rate.  Instead, the Samsung Health App lists my maximum heart rate range as 169 - 188.  That range is 35 to 40 beats per minute MORE than it should be.  

The RANGE listed in the app is NOT the actual heart rate being recorded.  The RANGE is used to evaluate the individual's performance by comparing the individual's actual heart rate to the correct range.  That is one of the primary purposes of using the Samsung Health App - to evaluate performance.  Because the Samsung Health App is listing the WRONG heart rate ranges for users, it is useless for this purpose. 

Please correct the problem. It used to work correctly. It should be quite easy for Samsung to fix it so it works correctly again. 

Thanks,

Jim Rummage 

JeremySoul
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

We need a large statistical sample!

0 Likes
mattykolej
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

the fifth decade is no longer a boy. you need to be attentive to your health from a young age, and it's very good that you take care of yourself! My older brother also constantly uses some technical gadgets for health monitoring and orders various medications here to maintain it; so I can ask him if he has encountered such a problem.

0 Likes