Original topic:

Require PIN instead of fingerprint

(Topic created on: 09-24-2019 08:09 PM)
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy A
I have installed security patch August 1 2019 and have noticed that without touching my phone it requires a PIN instead of my fingerprint and I have not touched the screen, and the phone was not powered off based on a app that was still running. 

Does anyone know why this occurs?

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
this has occurred again on a new phone. if a phone is reset can this be determined?
0 Likes
SyedSaqib
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

I feel you man, **bleep** thing keeps asking me to put the PIN instead of taking my fingerprint, after I've not used it for a long time. Each day I use this phone, my hate for it keeps growing. I'm moving back to Apple now, screw androids. 

0 Likes
TinnyBay
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

Samsung is using backward insecure password technology i have spoken  to technical a Fingerprint is secondary security instead of primary this article is a general story about how bad password technology is, it is out of date and backward https://www.box24news.com/technology/20331.html

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
My concern is that I cannot tell the difference between an attempt to access my phone and a reminder to enter my pin.
What should be implemented is an option to enter a known amount of biometric before entering a pin, say 10, 20 or none. Then show a decremented value so you know when to expect entering you pin instead of biometric.
0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
A request for a pin occurred again when I looked at my phone the request for a pin screen appeared. How can I know if this is a remote attack ?
Roz1
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy A

I'm having the same issue. Worried about the security of my phone. Wish Samsung would respond.  

0 Likes
Urbnik
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

Huge problem with pin instead or fingerprint, this time (in the middle of night) the ok button disappeared and I got it back only after I finally tried to power down. I'm diabetic and use the phone to read my glucose level so I need this to work instead of destroying my sleeping time. I agree, will probably go back to iPhone.

0 Likes
petrakid
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

I once asked a Samsung rep about this, and he told me it's for security reasons that the phone asks for a pin every so often.  He didn't go into detail regarding what he meant, and initially I thought it was an absurd answer.

However, after watching a video on YouTube about how different authentication methods are stored, I think I may have the answer...maybe.  On Windows, the password you setup when you first create an account it stored on a remote server and encrypted. This makes it easy for you to log onto different devices without having to setup a new password each time.  It's "in the cloud."  The PIN, however, that you setup when you setup your machine is stored locally in TPM (not in windows) and thus, if the cloud server storing your password is hacked, you'll still be secure.

I have to wonder if this is similar on an Android...the pin we setup is a locally-stored and encrypted item while the thumbprint is stored remotely or in some way stored with less encryption.  If it's not along those lines, then I think asking for the PIN like once a week (about what it is for me) is the most absurd thing.

0 Likes
Rx-Tran
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

I read their Privacy policy and it stated that biometrics info (fingerprint and your face) is stored locally on the phone. Well that's what they said, i'm not sure if they or you are right. And I agree, why ask for pin when it's stored locally?? The entire point of fingerprint is convinience and time saving, asking for a pin just after a few hours (in my case) kinda kills the point

edit: vocabulary mistake

0 Likes