Original topic:

USB doesn't connect. Note 20 ultra

(Topic created on: 10-18-2020 12:24 PM)
NamW
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note
I've been trying to connect this phone to my car stereo and home stereo through a type c - usb cable.  Specifically to play HD music that is downloaded on the phone. When I try to connect at home the Yamaha receiver acts like nothing is plugged into the USB port. When I try yo plug into the car the screen on the car says "reading USB" and "indexing " flashes. 

The phone shows the following screen . I allow it access but nothing changes.

I try to change "USB controlled by" to connected devices but it says couldn't switch. 

This also means I can't use Android auto. 

Bluetooth works fine for audio streaming but I would like to be able to listen the the higher quality HD version.

Is anyone else having this or similar problem and or does anyone have a solution? 

Thanks in advance. 

16 Comments
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
I just went out and checked whether my 2019 SUV's usb port will work with my Note 20 Ultra 512 Gb ...... it doesn't. Bluetooth is fine.
I connected a Western Digital 256 GB HD and it didn't connect either. I learnt this since 2010 with my first SUV.
Sony stereo.... same thing. Bluetooth is fine and didn't recognize the phone's HD. It recognized a 8GB Flash drive however.
0 Likes
NamW
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Thanks for checking. I looked at my owners manual, it doesn't give a size limit except to say it will not work with a dedicated external hard drive. if what is happening with yours is the same issue as mine it **bleep** as I won't be able to use Android auto when I want to.
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Hi NamW, wondering do you need to update your car software? blackberry key one was way back to 2017. Maybe need to do some update for your car?

Also, I saw some previous post, a user seems to be need to do the following to get his phone connected:

Open Settings → Device Care → battery → Charging

Turn off Super fast charging

Try if this help.
0 Likes
NamW
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Thank you, I'll give this a try.
NamW
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
This advice was one of the steps needed to get it working. I took your advise and gave this a try, on its own it didn't work but I remembered reading on another forum someone said to go to developer options and turn on USB debugging so with the superfast charging still turned off I turn on USB debugging and it works! The car stereo plays tracks off of my phone and everything is controllable through the car stereo itself, and or the steering wheel controls. Thanks Tallman for setting me down the right path. 👍🏽 The screen displays track name, artist name and a picture, the only odd bit is it shows "indexing" on every track. I'll keep using over the next few days and see if anything changes, I'm also trying to see if GM has an update for the stereo through the dealer.
Still can't get it to work at home but I'm checking with the receiver manufacturer to see if I have it configured incorrectly.
Again I want to say thanks for the help!
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Oh great. Good to hear that the problem resolved. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Thanks to Tallman.

Hi NamW, Glad to know that the issue got resolved. Thanks for letting us know about this.