Original topic:

Camera failure on Galaxy S20 Ultra

(Topic created on: 07-22-2022 12:20 PM)
D0C7
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Anyone had this issue which they were able to fix?
17 Comments
Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, we suggest you to perform the steps given below and verify if the camera failure issue is resolved. Open the Camera app >> tap on settings >> reset settings >> then reset.

Reboot the phone into safe mode. To enter Safe Mode, please perform the following:

1.First, completely power off the phone.

2.Then, power on the phone and when the Samsung logo appears, press and hold down the Volume down key.

3.If done correctly, "Safe Mode" will display on the bottom left corner of the screen. If "Safe Mode" does not appear, repeat the steps above.

4.Once you are in Safe Mode, you can remove the third-party app that is causing issues on your phone.

5.To exit Safe Mode, simply restart your phone and it will reboot normally.

If the issue is gone a recently downloaded app could have caused the issue.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I'd start by opening the Samsung Members app & Click on "Support", bottom right & View Tests & run the Diagnostics for the camera. See if you get any error message..

Depending on whether or not you get any error messages kinda dictates what you do next.

If there aren't any errors, resetting the Camera Settings is a good idea, but I'd also go to Settings > Apps & Search for the camera & Clear BOTH Cache & Data for the camera and Reboot. See if that works for you.

I'd only bother with Safe Mode after these first steps. 

0 Likes
Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, could you please let us know is your camera issue is resolved?

0 Likes
D0C7
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Nope, nothing has worked. I am not in the mood to reset the phone as I can not afford to lose any working data
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I get that no one wants to lose any data, but in my experience, which is more than a dozen years, I have never, ever lost any data whatsoever.

I do weekly backups to the external sd card using Smart Switch & Monthly Backups to my computer with Smart Switch again.

I also have the daily backups to my Google Drive & One Drive with Samsung's Backup.. it's kind of a "belt & suspenders" approach, but I am extremely cautious with my data.

If there is a specific data that you absolutely can not afford to lose, you could also connect your phone to your computer & copy this data directly to your computer.

I should also mention that I Factory Reset after any Android version update & occasionally out of boredom lol. 

Never lost anything! 

Just a thought. 

0 Likes
D0C7
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Lot of work to get the phone back to where i have it now i suppose. What are the chances that the camera may still not function after all this?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I can't say with certainty, but I also have the S20 Ultra & there's no issue with the camera on my device.

Did you run the Diagnostics on Samsung Members App, Support > Diagnostics & View Tests?

If it's a hardware issue, then a Factory Reset won't fix anything, but if it's a software issue, then it likely would be fixed by a Factory Reset.

When I Factory Reset my device, Smart Switch does a pretty good job of restoring things, but I also have to run about half a dozen adb commands for apps that would normally require Root.

I too have some very precious data on my desk, but I've always been confident that I would not lose any of my data. 

D0C7
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thanks, could you elaborate on "but I also have to run about half a dozen adb commands for apps that would normally require Root." What do I have to do in addition to using Smart Switch to restore
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

adb isn't something that most people will ever use. 

adb = Android Device Bridge & it is really only used to send commands from your computer to your phone. ie: adb can be used to add or restore missing Toggles from the QS Tiles, or to grant some applications additional access to your device, such as Tasker, GSam Battery Monitor, BBS, System UI Tuner, Shizuku, etc.

adb is NOT required for the typical Backup using Smart Switch, Google Cloud etc & adb is NOT required to Factory Reset, or Restore from your Backups.

adb was ONLY mentioned in response to "Factory Resets take time".