Original topic:

swollen battery caused cracked back and separation

(Topic created on: 01-29-2020 07:00 PM)
Duder5001
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

The battery on my Galaxy S8 has swollen and caused the back to partially separate from the phone. The phone is just over 2 years old. Is this normal? I've read a few posts on the US community site and it appears my experience is not unique.

The phone seems to be working fine but my son says to stop using it because it might catch on fire. Is that possible?

I chatted with Samsung support today but they said it is out of warranty and fixing it is my responsibility. Jez, does a $1000 phone only last 2 years now?

Does anyone have any insight as to the cause of the swollen battery, where to get it fixed, and how much it would cost? I'm in Vancouver.

15 Comments
gabe195
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

My Galaxy s8 which is my backup phone has a swollen battery that popped the back cover. This is my 6th Galaxy s phone and I've never had a similar issue.

Can you Help Samsung?

0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S

S8's are too old to have any type of warranty remaining.  Take it to an authorized service centre to have it looked at.  Samsung cannot help you.

0 Likes
Katonjamesr
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I have had these phones from the beginning of the S models, I doubt I'll purchase another, I'm using Samsung S20 Ultra 5G still covered by warranty, the phone sometimes runs extremely hot, I no longer carry it with me in fear it may explode, the battery has pushed the back door off the phone, it appears to be a very common problem with a lot of these phones.

It's inconvenient and very annoying having to have it sent away, I will keep the next few weeks details on how we go and will post the responses. from what I have found out to date is they are not to interested in helping with this problem.

Should my phone explode I will never look at a Samsung product again.

0 Likes
ldsw
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

The swollen battery is obviously a major problem with Samsung S10. I've experienced this issue two years in a row -- once while the phone was under warranty, and lately just over one later after the warranty expired. Like others who complained about this issue, I also use a Samsung-branded wireless charger (Samsung name embossed on the face of the charger) to charge my phone.

A class action lawsuit seems to be warranted now since this issue is an obvious major design flaw, not to mention a massive safety defect that puts its user at risk of injury and property destruction. This expensive device should last longer than a year of two and users should not be required to sponsor or even subsidize Samsung's flawed products. I was furious to find out that I had to pay for a mechanical defect that was NOT customer initiated -- regardless whether the phone was in or out of warranty. Is Samsung telling us that encasing a battery subject to swelling its business model of "planned obsolescence?

Samsung customer service wanted  me to stop using the phone...and I don't have a backup phone. But, why should I be placed at great inconvenience when this phone is used mostly for business for my customer and employees who work for me calls. Now, I'm left with no choice but to buy another phone after buying a brand new phone direct from Samsung in January 2020.

This Samsung Galaxy S10 not-so-smartphone needs to be recalled from the market until this company produces a phone that does not place anyone at injury or property risk. I intend to look into what is required to do something that forces the removal of this dangerous product from the market.

0 Likes
rltidd27
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I just had my fourth samsung battery swell!  I agree time for a lawsuit!

0 Likes
Samyprdhn
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

I have same problem

0 Likes