Original topic:

Q80T 75 Inch Strobing During Hockey

(Topic created on: 04-01-2021 12:39 PM)
MA07
Beginner Level 2
Options
Others

Just got the QN75Q80TAFXZC. All worked fine until I decided to watch hockey. A strobe goes off on the screen in a section or as a line across an area. This only happens when mostly ice is visible and the picture is panning. Doesnt happen during commercials, intermissions or even when focused on the bench. I have already done the usual like turning off all echo settings, adjusting flicker setting, judder and blur. All other channels and content are fine. This has happened on multiple days, channels but only with hockey, it must be the white ice and the panning.

Firmware is up to date. Picture test shows no problem. Did a factory reset. Changed all settings off and on and adjusted many items all to no resolution. Contacted Samsung chat agent who went through all the steps which did not fix it. 

So I asked can you let the engineers know of this problem. He said there is no way of doing this. Just wait for the next update and it should fix it. I asked him how they will know there is a problem if someone doesnt tell them? I am willing to provide them info to try to fix it. I saved the game on PVR so I can make a video of the problem. But he insisted there is no way of letting them know.

So does anyone have any advice on what the issue is. And/or how I can get this info to the engineers so they can look into it.

Very disappointed with this very expensive TV which has an issue and no way of informing Samsung on the problem. And too big to return

0 Likes
12 Comments
Others
Where is your automotion plus set?? Auto? Off? Or custom? Try setting automotion to auto... if its still there set it to auto. If ever also try to take a picture of the issue and post it here so we could help you more.
0 Likes
MA07
Beginner Level 2
Others

There is no automotion plus.  Picture clarity is custom.  LED clear motion is off. Noise reduction is off. Taking a picture is difficult as it is a strobe. Only maybe a video will show it. Local dimming is high, I tried changing this one to low, off etc with no help.

0 Likes
Others
Hi.. sorry automotion is set to off? Or you don't have that feature on your tv? Coz your tv has a 240 motion rate so it should clear those judder.. this is what i did before to test it.. i watch netdlix's f1 race docu series and if you see judder on moving cars then there is a problem on your automotion settings. But if you find it good then there's no problem. Maybe its a problem on hockey channels....
0 Likes
Others
Sorry my q80R has automotion settings that can be easily turned off.. not sure about the Q80T..
0 Likes
MA07
Beginner Level 2
Others

I dont have that feature. Only Picture clarity that is custom.  LED clear motion is off. Noise reduction off. Local dimming is High. I tried changing all of these and it did nothing. However changing local dimming to Low or Off actually made it worse (it happen more). Manual says Picture Clarity optimize pictures that contain a lot of motions - so its set to custom. Then judder to 4, blur reduction to 10, LED Clear motion - off, Noise reduction - off. I tried changing these to max and min and off none made any difference. Eco mode is off so Motion lighting is off.

Yes its a problem with hockey I believe its the amount of white area and the fast motion and the SW response to turning off and on the back lighting. The TV does have 240hz motion but it changes depending on your content. If you are watching cable/satellite the signal is 1080/30i even in HD.

Edit = it was a RTINGS article. When you set TV to movie mode frequency changes to 120hz. Also if Picture clarity is set to Custom or Auto frequency is set to 120hz. Not sure then if that is why I can then see the flashing.

0 Likes
GG2
Expert Level 3
Others
Arena photographers using remote flashes with their cameras. Mostly noticeable with indoor (arena) sports, especially hockey because of all the white (ice.) I don't think there's anything wrong with your tv. Watch any other channel or outdoor sports and you will not experience this. Its one of those things that once you notice it ...

If there was something wrong with your tv, you would notice it in other situations than with only watching hockey.
0 Likes
MA07
Beginner Level 2
Others

Its not photographers. As it appears in a quadrant of the TV (ie. right top quarter) and also appears as a white line flashing across the middle of the screen at times. This is almost for sure the flicker type issue except it doesnt affect the entire screen it seems to be situated in certain areas (ie. right top quarter, white line flash across middle of screen). It does seem to get worse if the I change local dimming from High to Low or Off. So its probably this setting but the SW is not compensating enough. The same content played on my old Visio 65 inch 4K LED TV doesnt do it, so its this TV SW not handling the motion with the backpanel lighting

0 Likes
GG2
Expert Level 3
Others
Ok i get it. Why not return it if you're still in your return period instead of going through the hassle with Samsung ?
0 Likes
Halston
Options
Others

Hi MA07,
We apologize for the inconvenience caused. As per the information provided by you, there is an issue with hockey. There is no issue with your TV because it will be impacted on other channels as well if there is an issue with the TV.
As a result, we will consider it as valuable feedback. Samsung is dedicated to ensuring that you have a great experience with your Samsung product. We have forwarded your concern to the concerned team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your feedback is truly appreciated and will help Samsung create a better experience for all Samsung users.
Thank you GG2 and gokongming for your information.

0 Likes