Original topic:

Samsung health wants to manage my phone calls

(Topic created on: 04-15-2021 01:45 PM)
kosiv55
Beginner Level 2
Options
Samsung Health

Why in the world does **bleep** alloversudden need your phone calls?

10 Comments
Samsung Health

Maybe I should just post this.

Your phone number is used to verify your identity and keep your data safe.

This is the reason showed under Samsung Health Settings → Phone Number

If anyone do not like accept this permission, there is another work around.

Accept all permission for app install. Then go back to Settings → Apps → Samsung Health app → Permission

Remove Phone permission. Samsung HeaIth still working.

Screenshot_20210413-140644_Samsung Health_41032.jpg

0 Likes
Brocyon
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

@tallman please stop commenting with incorrect information on every post with this topic. This has nothing to do with 2fa. 2fa uses sms not phone calls and the message comes from samsung not the app. Either way, the permission you are referring to would be to read sms, and THAT permission would only be required so the app could automatically read and enter your code rather than have you type. This is not currently a permission the app requests. There is absolutely no reason at this time for the app to be able to make and manage phone calls. If they had a phone support number, the permission would be needed to start the call directly from the app, but they have no such support and there are no articles that would have numbers to call. There isnt a phone number anywhere in the app at this time so something that would give you the ability to make phone calls will either be coming at a later date, or they are gathering call logs for analytics. There is no app function specific reason for the permission at this time

Samsung Health
Apologize if my information is incorrect. I noticed my Samsung Health added a phone number entry under Settings. If you don't like it, you can remove the Phone permission under Samsung Health. But thanks for your point of view.
0 Likes
Staples777
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

I too am unhappy with the change and unconvinced by the rationale provided here. Surprised you haven't learnt from what happened to WhatsApp - there is a huge market for people that want privacy, if you don't want or respect it, someone else will (see how Signal users have grown). My fitness tracker is at the lower end of the range so I'm off to Amazon to look for a replacement, easy as that. I was also looking to come back to Samsung at handset renewal, you have dissuaded me from that. These are the repercussions of seemingly trivial decisions like this. Sorry, will miss you Samsung

Zzoeys
Beginner Level 3
Samsung Health

I hated to do it but, I deleted the app.  I see no need for all the permissions they are requiring  to use it.

Valeriya
Options
Samsung Health

Hi Kosiv55, To use the application, all permissions must be accepted. Turning off certain permissions may result in basic features no longer working as intended. Thanks, for the response Tallman.

0 Likes
Zzoeys
Beginner Level 3
Samsung Health

App deleted. Permissions they are asking for are over the top

Brocyon
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

@valeriya shame on you. You are supposed to be a moderator. Why are you thanking a random user who is providing inaccurate information to set peoples minds at ease. Obviously the permissions are required. You must accept them to move forward and use the app. That isnt what people are asking. The question here is "why is that specific permission needed" and if you dont have insight to that, dont bother responding. Can we get some real answers instead of this getting swept under a rug?

Virdzamin
Beginner Level 5
Samsung Health

@valeriya shame on you indeed! All the responses from moderators are parroting the in app text "Turning off certain permissions may result in basic features no longer working as intended" like bots they are...

0 Likes