Original topic:

Bixby voice permissions

(Topic created on: 10-08-2020 04:25 PM)
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy A
I would like an explanation for the requirement of all the permissions for Bixby voice?

0 Likes
14 Comments
Linc
Active Level 6
Galaxy A
Bixby needs those permissions so it can get it done whatever you command it.
Camera - so it can access camera when you told it to open camera or take pictures
Contacts - so it can find or message people from your contacts
Location - so it can access things like weather in your area
Microphone - of course so you can talk to it
Storage - so it can find files like mp3s from your phone
Telephone- so it can make calls for you
0 Likes
Halston
Options
Galaxy A

Hi SamSungtwo,
@Linc, you are correct. All the permissions are using to make the app function correctly. The app will not ask to use certain permission (i.e. the camera, Contacts, Location, Microphone etc...) until you have begun using the correlated function (i.e. taking a picture, accessing the files or numbers etc...).

If you allow the sharing of the information with us, for example, the camera you can take or open the pictures by using the Bixby. For more details please visit the below link: https://my-samsung.com/PrivacyPolicy.htm

Thank you Linc for your information.

SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
none of these permissions can be disabled on my phone.

linc why would Bixby voice need to access mp3's from external storage?
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy A

Hi SamSungtwo, It needs permission to access the Storage on the mobile device to play the music file when an appropriate command is given to it.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
The reason this is a security risk is that I do not use the product and the permission remains active.
keagan
Options
Galaxy A

Hi SamSungtwo, Could you please let us know the model number of your mobile device.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
A50
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy A

Hi SamSungtwo, You could deactivate Bixby Voice by opening Bixby Home >> 3 dot menu >> Tap Settings >> Tap Bixby Voice switch to turn off the feature and force stop the application in the settings.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
unfortunately performing a "force stop" only temporarily stops the app, it can start up within a few hours or definitely after a restart of the phone.

That is why I would like to understand why the permissions cannot be denied for this service since Google created the operating system to perform the denial of permissions for this function.