Original topic:

Can anyone give me one good reason to use this Bixby thing, let alone trust it?

(Topic created on: 06-29-2019 10:06 PM)
Tazzybehr
Beginner Level 2
Options
Bixby
I'm getting Bing flashbacks...

I bought an A70 today after my carrier stopped giving security updates to my bloatware free Essential Phone (I am in mourning, it really turned out to be a phenomenal device). 

So, after a nightmarish 3 days with Google Pixel 3 (the WORST sounding phone ever made) I was convinced to give the company that deliberately engineers failure into all of its appliances a try. To say I hate Samsung for my exploding washer would be a gross understatement.
They have failed me after taking my hard earned money a few too many times.

However, my phone carrier insisted it was this or Apple, and that Samsung didn't do the deliberately defective and no parts to fix it thing with their phones. So...I'm giving them another chance.

Then I ran into Bixby.

I saw Microsoft shoving Bing down my throat so they could make money off all the advertisers that paid them to force my searches to favour them; rather than the best possible search results flash before my eyes. I saw my personal information being sold to the marketers that paid Bing to mine all my info so they could force feed me ad after merciless ad for everything I didn't want to buy. 

In short, I'm suffering from shell-shock.

I hate all the bloatware I'm being forced to remove from this device, so that I can have a decent experience. I also do not like being told I must use something if I want said device to work.

I use Google. Yes, they're Evil Incarnate, worse than Bing, Yahoo, or any other search engine. But...I get EXACTLY what I need from them when I use them, ads be damned. 

I'm trying, honestly, to keep an open mind here, but Bixby is reminding me of another Samsung device I had software bundled with a few years back; software that never ever worked on any computer, except for the crud Samsung insisted I must buy.

I am feeling like a cyber hostage all over again.

Add to that the fact that the phone "sticks"sometimes when I press on apps or commands on the screen, that whole Samsung Camera nightmare comes roaring back in vivid Technicolor. 

So...before I repack this phone in its box and send it back, can anyone tell me why I shouldn't? Can anyone give me a reason why I should give this Bixby thing a chance? I really don't believe Samsung will give me great search results without my ever trying it based on my history with their trying to direct me someplace into buying whatever its search results paid Samsung to lead me to.

I know I sound hostile, and perhaps I am, but I am trying to allow myself to accept this Bixby thing as to having my best interests at its core while making my phone experience an enjoyable and productive one, rather than feeling financially fleeced by this manufacturer yet again.

And..can I use this phone without ever having to interact with Bixby, co exist peacefully if it is a problem problem child after all,?

Thanks for reading.
0 Likes
8 Comments
laulaupo45
Beginner Level 2
Bixby
dans mon calendrier, les 3 premiers lettre apparaisse pour le mois. mais juin et juillet sont pareil comme jui pour juin et jui pour juillet. Comment corriger ça. Je pourrais mettre jn pour juin...
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Bixby
Bixby doesn't have a search engine. It just searches on Google.

Of course if you don't want Bixby, you can safely disable it and you whatever be bothered by it ever again. I never use Bixby because I just don't use those "AI Assistants" at all.
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Bixby
If you wanna know more about Bixby search Bixby in the members app and then you'll read all the reviews. For me personally I am trying to give it a chance but it's a mixed bag for me It has some good Aspects but a lot of it is half baked And I really don't like how they force you to use to Samsung applications. But at least you can try to disable some aspects of Bixby so you don't really ever have to use it if you don't want to a lot of the time.
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Bixby
something to keep in mind that bixby is still a fairly new product and its not like other A.I's, but it also needs a lot more Polish and refinement to really be "good". So just keep that in mind when you're using Bixby it's more so meant to be a voice interface for your device. Samsung is pushing updates for Bixby about every month or 2 and over time it will be getting better..... just very slowly lol.
0 Likes
Marcassa
Active Level 1
Bixby
can you opt out of this experiment? I hate it.
0 Likes
Marcassa
Active Level 1
Bixby
it is garbage and I hate it. I can't get it to disable. it is a parasite.
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Bixby
No, unfortunately Bixby's deeply integrated into Samsung devices and there's no real way to disable it or get rid of it. However if you re map the Bixby button to launch some other function you can typically go your average day without ever really interacting with Bixby directly.
0 Likes
Marcassa
Active Level 1
Bixby
I figured out how to make the Bixby button do nothing instead of open Bixby and I disabled everything I could on the screen. basically it's now a black hole of nothing that pops up if I swipe the wrong way and just takes up space. huge improvement from before though.
0 Likes